[donotprint]Moroccan Spiced Chickpeas with Polenta Wedge
A lunch with a difference!
I followed Moroccan tradition and decided to opt for my midday meal being my main one for today, though unfortunately couldn’t nip out of work for the customary 2-3 hours that they take to consume it!
I took advantage of my leisurely Sunday afternoon to put together this heart and belly warming lunch for today having anticipated it would be another chilli rainy day. On the contrary the sun shone and the temperature has gone up a few notches, but bowl of Moroccan spice goodness still went down a treat.
In between my coffee smoothie and lunch I had myself a nice helping of Apple Cinnamon Pie Overnight Oats. A million times better than my first attempt which I will now admit were a bit watery…Pride got the better of me.
I was having a little peruse over some older recipe posts over the weekend and there are a few which are high on my priority list to recreate and reshoot.
The recipe for my new improved oats will come tomorrow morning (bright and early alongside my before sunrise smoothie).
Work has been busy busy today…I’m trying to squeeze 200 5 days work in to 4 this week…I can almost taste Barcelona!
With my right hand woman off on holidays at the moment I manning the phones which is more than a little disruptive so I’ve taken to wearing a headset!
I look like I work in a call centre! I keep forgetting I’m attached the phone and attempting to leap up only with the quick reminder of my hair feeling like it’s being pulled from my head!
Anyway enough babble….lunch! And time for my walk, the dark clouds look like they mean business… [/donotprint]
Moroccan Spiced Chickpeas with Polenta Wedge
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 –40 minutes
- 150g (2/3 cup) cooked chickpeas
- 2 tomatoes chopped and deseeded
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 25g (1oz) polenta (ground yellow maize)
- 85ml (1/3 cup) boiled water
- Black Pepper to season
- To make the polenta wedge at the polenta to the boiling water and stir continuously over a high heat for 2 minutes. Pour polenta in to a small tub (you want to create wedge about 1 inch thick). Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to cool quickly. Remove from the tub and place under a preheated grill (broiler) for 6 minutes, 3 minutes each side until nice a crispy around the edges.
- Add all ingredients for the Moroccan chickpeas to a pot (no faffing about with frying off ingredients!), bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. If it starts to dry up too quickly add a couple of tablespoons of water.
- Serve hot or cold (I opted for hot), with your Polenta wedge on the side (perfect for wiping your bowl/plate clean!)
Suggestion: A few chopped dried apricots would be a nice sweet addition. I’ve just had my dried fruit fill after yesterday’s muesli squares.