I love my beets, but I usually associate them with savoury meals.
I did have a beet, apple and carrot juice in Barcelona which looked and tasted delicious but wasn’t quite sweet enough for me to stomach more than a few slurps!
Chocolate and Beet Muffins on the other hand….
I have heard of beets being used in chocolate cake but hadn’t quite gotten around to giving it a whirl myself. With the last of my free time before I head back to work tomorrow I decided it was about time I made some chocolate beet muffins!
I only have one Carrot and Pear Muffin left in the freezer so these beautiful beet filled babies will a void (though I’m not sure they will last quite as long!)
Moist, Chocolate Vegan Wheat Free Muffins! If I had the time I’d make a different muffin every day of the week. I would be known as the the muffin maiden. I enjoyed one out in the sunshine this afternoon, it seems our Indian summer has finally arrived.
I was more than chuffed with the outcome of my mid morning experiment
Vegan Spelt Chocolate Beet Muffins
Servings – 6 large (10 – 12 small)
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time –25 minutes
- 240g (2 cups) wholegrain spelt flour
- 1 large grated beet (about 1 cup)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) apple sauce (2 small apples, peeled, cored, diced and pureed)
- 185ml (2/3 cup) soy milk
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 tbsp Splenda (or sugar)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and Splenda (or sugar if you’re not using sweetener).
- Add grated beet, soy milk and apple sauce to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon mixture in to non stick muffin tray (making either 6 or 12 muffins, I went for 6!).
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes (a skewer inserted should come out clean).