[donotprint]When I get in my mind that I want to try a certain food or incorporate something in a particular recipe I find it pretty hard to shake the idea…which of late has ended up costing me a near fortune.
This mornings breakfast was a little on the pricey side…
Vegan Raspberry and Chocolate Overnight Oats Parfait…with Pistachios which came at a premium!
Pistachios… €5.00 (if I had of both the de-shelled bag it would have set me back close to €10.00!!!!)
When I saw the bag of roasted de-shelled pistachios priced at €10.00 I almost fell out of my standing, though had I not found a cheaper bag, shells included, I would have taken the hit. That’s how much I wanted them!
Ok so I didn’t use the full bag of Pistachios for my Parfait….
Oh so worth it!!!
I just now need to come up with some other fantastic ways to incorporate them in my meals. I better not become too fond of them, between them and the Pecans I’ll be counting out my pennies.
Why are nuts so darn expensive?
More of a statement than a question in my mind but I figured I’d Google it as I have a tendency to do when the answer escapes me which usually proves quite successful….
Not today! Basically just a whole load more people asking and complaining about the price of nuts!
Nuts I’ve found to be most expensive
- Pine Nuts
My Favourite Nuts
You can see my problem!
What are your favourite nuts?
Do you happen to know why nuts are so expensive? [/donotprint]
Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Overnight Oats Parfait
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Chocolate Raspberry Overnight Oats
- 30g (1/3 cup) rolled oats
- 1 tbsp buckwheat groats
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 85g (1/3 cup) fresh raspberries
- 125ml (2/3 cup) boiling water (I like my oats sticky so add a little more or add cold milk before serving to loosen if you prefer)
- 2 tsp honey
Parfait Add Ins
- 125ml (1/2 cup) plain soy yoghurt
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 125g (1 cup) fresh raspberries
- 1 heaped tbsp frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
- Mix together all ingredients for overnight oats and place in a seal tight container in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To make the raspberry sauce place raspberries, honey and water in pan, bring to the boil and simmer or 3-5 minutes (until slightly thickened)
- Assemble parfait layering oats, yoghurt, fresh raspberries, pistachios and sauce