Temperatures have officially plummeted. It’s bitterly cold when I’m leaving for work in the only here mornings at 7am. Yesterday and today I was greeted by a frozen over car and spent the first five minutes, which felt more like half an hour, on my route to work stiff in my seat praying the heating would work its magic.
Anyone who knows me knows I can’t cope with the cold. I try every which way to combat it, wearing layers upon layers, drinking lots of hot water, putting the blow heater on under my desk in work on even when the radiators are hopping and yet still somehow sporadically shivering.
Best cure for when you’re feeling chilly… a big plate of chilli! Butternut squash and red quinoa chilli to be more precise.
Served piping hot and consumed at my desk in work beside my heater, for the 15 minutes I managed to make it last and for at least the preceding 15 minutes after I felt far from cold. If only I could eat chilli all day I’d be sorted for the winter!
I’ve never used quinoa in chilli before, nor have I used butternut squash…combined with the kidney beans and discount generic levitra thick tomato chilli sauce it was delicious. I opted to use red Quinoa as I felt white would be a bit too mushy for my liking, I fancied a bit of www.cobaltreview.com bite.
I threw this together in minutes with very little effort and virtually no chopping required besides a little onion, garlic and chilli as I had roasted the butternut squash the day previous.
Nothing better than getting the chopping, peeling and roasting out of the way, leaving you with a supersized tub of squash ready to use as you as you please.
I topped the chilli with some fresh coriander and little fresh finely chopped chilli for an extra kick.
The roasted squash, nutty quinoa and traditional chilli beans all worked so well together. I’d almost consider eating it for breakfast tomorrow if there were any leftovers to make it possible.
What’s your favourite warming and comforting midday meal?
Roasted Butternut Squash Red Quinoa Chilli
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 30-35 minutes
- 50g (2oz) Red Quinoa (uncooked weight)
- ½ small roasted butternut squash diced (200g/7oz cooked weight)
- ½ small red onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 165ml (2/3 cup) Passata
- 100g (3.5oz) cooked red kidney beans
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ -½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1 tsp fresh chilli finely chopped (optional)
- Cook Quinoa according to 100mg levitra packet instructions (cover with approximately 225-250ml (1 cup) water, bring to the boil, cover and fda approves cialis simmer for 15-20 minutes, until all liquid has been absorbed)
- Meanwhile add garlic and onion to a pot with 1 tsp olive oil and cook for 3-5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add spices and squash to the pot, stir to combine and coat and cook for 3-5 minutes, until roasted squash starts to soften up a bit. Add beans and Passata to the pot, bring the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When the Quinoa is cooked mix add to 0to5.com the pot, and simmer for a further 10 minutes.