[donotprint] I get home from work about 5pm, I work 8am – 4.30pm, and usually head straight for the kitchen to empty and clean the 5-6 lunch boxes I carry around in my huge shopping bag before leaping in to preparing breakfast and lunch for the next day.
I race around getting as much done as possible before heading out for a walk or run at about 5.30/5.45. Then it’s home to finish preparing lunch and get on with making dinner, the goal being to be sitting down with a plate/bowl of something yummy before 7.30pm.
The handiest meals and sometimes the tastiest are those that you can throw in the oven and do a bit of quick assembly before devouring with one hand, fork or spoon.
Tonight I slow roasted some large cherry tomatoes, which once in the oven required minimal attention, popped some millet on the hob to cook and before everything was ready toasted some Pinenuts and chopped some fresh basil and a handful of black olives. It couldn’t have been easier.
You, well I, half expect when I make something so simple for it not to taste all that amazing, but sometimes it’s the simple things. Okay so it’s not the meal to choose if you want something really quick as the tomatoes take between 50minutes -1 hours, depending on your level of patience, but it’s the perfect meal for preparing when you’re busy doing other multiple tasks in the kitchen or otherwise.
The tomatoes looked delicious, but really did taste better than I’d anticipated. They were mouth-wateringly good and the millet was the perfect companion. If you’re not wheat intolerant I’m sure couscous or bulgur wheat would work fine, but the slight nutty texture of the millet was magic with the mushy sweet tomatoes.
So few ingredients, so little effort, so satisfying!
What’s your favourite simple meal to serve up for lunch or dinner?[/donotprint]
Slow Roasted Cherry Tomato Millet
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 50-60 minutes
- 8-10 large cherry tomatoes chopped in half
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 60g (2oz) Millet
- 1tbsp toasted Pinenuts
- 1 heaped tbsp black olives sliced in half
- 1 tbsp fresh basil shredded
- 1 tbsp lemon juice +1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 150C (300F).
- Place cherry tomatoes and garlic on baking tray, drizzle and coat in olive oil and place in the oven. They will need to roast for 50-60 minutes, check occasionally to toss and turn.
- Meanwhile cook Millet according to packet instruction.
- Add your Pinenuts to a dry pan over a medium heat and toast for 3-5 minutes, tossing to ensure they don’t burn.
- When the tomatoes are done, mix with millet, basil, olives, 2/3 Pinenuts, lemon juice, olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle with remaining Pinenuts and basil to serve.