If you leave out one ingredient it just wouldn’t be a Waldorf… though you can make substitutions.
It needs the toasted walnuts, apple and celery but the raisins will happily be replaced with an alternative dried fruit. I always opt for cranberries, sweet, tart and they add a nice sprinkling of colour.
Creamy mayonnaise, not so vegan, and not so healthy, can simply be replaced with plain soy yoghurt. Mix it up with Dijon mustard, lemon juice, a squirt of agave syrup and season with salt and black pepper and you have a healthy Waldorf dressing in minutes.
As well as making healthy/vegan swaps, once you have the basics there is no harm making your own addition or additions. What I would say is don’t overdo it; something which I have a bit of http://skelfsborg.com/where-can-i-purchase-cialis a habit of but I managed to control myself with this one!
Part of the joy of Waldorf salad in my mind is the simplicity of it. You whip it together in minutes with few ingredients and blu.edu.vn I never expect much from it but as soon as I take that first bite I’m immediately reminded just how good it is.
One addition is made, one which I would highly recommend. I topped it off with some grilled tofu pieces. Get your Tofu, slice, grill, and place on top. Not a major addition, not one you could call time consuming or overly intricate but one which really works. I love the texture of grilled crisp cold tofu.
No need to marinade it, once mix up in the globalebookawards.com creamy dressing it’s got all the flavour it needs. Some people say tofu on its own has no taste. I have to wow)) disagree… maybe it’s just my taste buds but as far as I’m concerned it’s got a light nutty sweet taste and I’d happily it plain and simple, grilled or baked, but preferably cold!
Do you have any additions you like to make to a Waldorf salad?
Vegan Waldorf Salad
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1 medium red apple of your choice diced (it just needs to be crisp!)
- 2 small stalks of http://drawsomethingcheat24.com/buy-viagra-online-from-canadacheap-viagra-tablets celery diced
- 1 tbsp walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 100g (3.5oz) firm Tofu diced in to bite size chunks
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 ½ tbsp plain soy yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat grill/broiler to high. Place tofu under the grill for 8-10 minutes, until starting to only best offers brown and crisp on the outside. Turn at least once during cooking time.
- Whisk to together all dressing ingredients and set to one side.
- When the tofu is done cooking set it aside to cool. Mix together all salad ingredients with the exception of the tofu. Place the tofu on top of serve.