I went on the hunt for a pasta-less vegetable bake, ideally vegan and including eggplant and zucchini. I stumbled upon a number of recipes, some described as Moussaka, some including a vegan béchamel sauce, but as usual it was Angela’s recipe which featured a bean puree that caught my eye.
I didn’t quite stick to the recipe, making the meal for one, adding in a little more bean and topping it all off with rye breadcrumbs, but it was more than a little inspired by Angela’s layered casserole.
I used 2/3 of a whole medium eggplant and opted to leave the skin on. I’m a big fan of roasted eggplant and sliced the whole thing and ate the leftover slices that had no layers to http://globalebookawards.com/levitra-super-active fill.
Rather than the chili sauce I opted for a quick homemade tomato sauce using Passata, garlic, tomato puree and drop of balsamic.
Half a thinly sliced zucchini, half a can of cannellini beans and half a slice of http://almansouria.org/canadian-pharmacy-levitra-generic rye bread later…(there were a lot of halves)… I had a delicious layered vegetable bake.
Creamy, saucy and http://tropicalfiji.com/generic-cialis-in-canada almost cheesy even without having included any nutritional yeast. I would definitely add in a little next time I make the bake, there will most definitely be a next time, to give a little extra cheesiness but it was incredible as is.
The tomato sauce and bean layer merged in parts, the vegetables mingled and the layers became a bit disheveled but I somehow managed to remove the bake in one whole piece. I’m not sure I would of had quite as much success had I attempted to do so while it was hot.
I allowed it to cool and chill overnight in the fridge, ready to reheat and devour for dinner tonight. There really is nothing better than having a homemade dinner ready to go for whenever hunger strikes. No preparation, and the only a single fork and plate to clean once complete.
The casserole was delicious and extremely comforting. Using the passata to make up the buy now levitra tomato sauce and canned beans to www.swellsurfcamp.com make the bean puree meant it took about a minimal amount of time to prepare. My lasagna craving is http://ben-smith.net/viagra-cost well in truly satisfied without a lasagna sheet in site. A gorgeous vegan meal, one which makes the move to full veganism a far greater possibility.
Vegan Eggplant and Zucchini Bake
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
- 200g (7oz) Passata
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Salt and only here black pepper to taste
- 150g ( 5oz) cooked cannellini beans
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Vegetables and Topping
- 2/3 medium eggplant sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 slice Rye Bread (about 20g will make 2 tbsp breadcrumbs)
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Place eggplant on a non stick baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven for 15 minutes, turning once during this time.
- Meanwhile add olive oil and garlic to a pot for your sauce. Cook for a couple of minutes before adding in all other ingredients with the exception of the salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- When the eggplant is done cooking remove from the oven and higher the temperature to 200C (400F).
- Place rye bread in a jug or deep bowl and process using a hand blender for form chunky bread crumbs. Set to one side.
- To assemble place a thin layer of how much is viagra sauce on the bottom of a deep casserole dish, followed by 1/3 of eggplant. Top with 1/2 of bean mixture followed by half of zucchini and click now 1/32 of sauce. Repeat once more topping off with remaining 1/3 of eggplant. Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes until the foodphilosophy.com crumb topping is crisp and the casserole is bubbling. Done!