I know I’ve said it before, but there is just something plain crispy grilled tofu. I guess you either love it or you hate it and I most definitely love it! Rather than opting for the blander option I decided to marinade the tofu in ginger, soy and red wine vinegar before chopping it in to bite size cubes and sticking it under the grill to crispy up.
Red cabbage is not something I have that often and served raw its just a little too crunchy even for my raw veggie loving palate. However give it a little blanching, refresh in cold water and it’s looses it’s harsh crunch yet retains the perfect bit of bite.
Red cabbage and kale…not only do they look pretty next to each other, they pay one another a nice compliant. Soft and steam, blanched and crunchy, all mixed up with fluffy cooked cream Quinoa and topped with the crispy tofu.
All it needed was an extra hit of flavour to tie it all back together. I dressed the Quinoa, kale and cabbage with ginger, soy sauce and red wine vinegar, seasoned with salt and black pepper, before placing the tofu on top and giving it a generous sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Minimal cooking…there was little shallot and garlic quickly fried off to throw in the mix. The end result was fantastic. Something really different from all the food I’ve been eating over Christmas.
Refreshing and light and it quashed my multiple longings all in one go. Maybe I just go with my cravings more often, who knows what wonderful if slightly strange concoction might end up on my plate!
Kale, Red Cabbage Ginger Soy Quinoa Tofu Salad
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 40g (1.5oz) uncooked quinoa
- 200ml (3/4 cup) water
- 100g (3.5oz) firm tofu
- Large handful of kale
- Large handful of red cabbage
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 small shallots finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Mix together marinade/dressing ingredients and pour half of it over the tofu. Set to one side to soak it up while you put your Quinoa on to cook.
- Cover Quinoa with water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Preheat grill/broiler. Add 1 tsp of olive oil to a pan and toss in garlic and shallots. Cook for 3-5 minutes over a medium heat; until the shallot has become translucent. Set to one side.
- Chop tofu in to bite size chunks and place under preheated grill, cooking for between 10-15 minutes, turning at least once ensuring both sides are nice and crisp.
- Roughly chopped kale and shred cabbage. Drop cabbage in a pot of boiling water for one minute, remove and refresh under cold water so it retains its colour.
- Place kale in a microwave safe dish with 1 tsp of water and “steam” (heat) on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
- When all components are ready you can leave to cool or serve it up warm. Mix together Quinoa, kale, red cabbage, shallots and garlic. Pour over remaining marinade/dressing and toss well to combine and coat. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Top mound of veggies and Quinoa with crispy grilled tofu and sprinkle with sesame seeds.