[donotprint] Why did no one ever tell me how amazing Avocado’s are? Until recently they weren’t even on my radar; until Sonia over at the Healthy Foodie posted her shrimp, avocado and pink grapefruit. Even though it contained shrimp, the avocado and grapefruit combination instantly intrigued me and created an insatiable urge to taste it!
Needless to say it was top of my grocery shopping list last week and I’ve now consumed the two whole large avocado’s (one which topped of my mixed messy bowl of food on Tuesday!).
There are so many ways to use an avocado I wasn’t sure where to start so I decided to go for a classic with a bit of a twist…
Black bean, corn, red grapefruit and avocado millet with a zesty lime dressing. Of course I couldn’t stop with just a few ingredients and end up creating a vibrant tower of food packed full of lots of other complimentary goodies…red pepper, red onion, cucumber and plenty of fresh coriander.
There’s no going back now! I’m officially in love with avocado. If I’m completely honest the reason they didn’t happen upon my radar or craving list prior to is predominantly due to them being high in fat and calories; as you can imagine not person with an eating disorders most favoured food and very much strictly banished in my case! If only I had of known how good they tasted!
The creamy avocado mixed with the sharp grapefruit, crunchy fresh vegetables and soft black beans and quinoa…perfectly balanced and brought together so wonderfully by the zesty lime dressing. Trying to get a taste of everything in one mouthful was a little challenging to say the least but I did make a stellar effort (thank god for desk divider boards!). I found myself trying to save the avocado like I do my favourite oat and smoothie toppings; that’s how much I loved it!
Now that I’m an avocado fan/devotee I decided it was about time I knew bit more about these nutritional powerhouses!
Here are a couple of the better posts I stumbled upon:
And now that you’re awash with knowledge why not go make yourself a beautifully healthy balanced mouth watering (quite literally, apologies if the pictures don’t convey it’s amazingness) salad! [/donotprint]
Black Bean, Corn, Avocado and Grapefruit Millet Salad
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
- 1/2 small avocado diced
- 1/2 large grapefruit (segmented)
- 1/4 medium cucumber deseeded and sliced
- 2 tbsp frozen, tinned or fresh cooked corn
- 3 tbsp black beans
- 1/2 small red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 red onion finely chopped
- 45g (1.5oz) uncooked millet
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 black pepper
- Mix together all salad ingredients with the exception of the fresh coriander; peel and dice the avocado when all other ingredients have been prepared to prevent it from browning.
- Whisk together salad dressing.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss well to combine. Make sure to cover the avocado liberally if not serving straight away as the lime juice in the dressing will prevent it from going brown.
- Serve topped with fresh coriander.