Most people would head straight for the cereal aisle when such a craving occurs; or in my house the cereal press which is renowned for having at least 5 varieties on childrenofthesun.org stand by at any one time. Cereal was a breakfast staple growing up, I pretty much didn’t deviate from the breakfast in a box throughout my school years and it would have been my preferred snack/supper fare.
Long before I gave up eating wheat in favour of a much happier tummy I gave up eating cereal, in favour of healthier fresh balanced breakfasts. The majority of cereals that would have filled my bowl were nothing other than sugar with not even a token of recommended site protein on offer.
When I came across the http://biofuelwatch.org.uk/cialis-buying idea of a homemade cereal made from none other than the protein rich grain quinoa I was more than a little excited to bake myself up a batch. The recipe is another from Angela’s site; it couldn’t be more simple and straightforward. It almost seemed too good to be true.
That was until it came out of the oven and had a nibble! Slightly sweet, perfectly crunchy and I couldn’t wait to drown it in a bowl full of almond milk; it being pretty late at night, way past supper time, I held off until the morning time (though a few extra nibbles were had just to be sure it was cooked just right…!)
Now that I’ve made this cereal my mind is awash with of homemade cereal alternatives I want to create…at least one either variety will be made this week. A super handy healthy breakfast or snack, cereal is officially back on the breakfast menu!
Crunchy Maple Quinoa Cereal
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 2 minutes
Cooking Time – 1 hour
- 90g (3oz) uncooked quinoa
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cover quinoa with water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes; until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Preheat oven to link for you 190C (375F).
- Mix together quinoa, flax seeds and http://redevgroup.com/canadian-pharmacy maple syrup.
- Place mixture on to a baking tray lined with baking parchment/greaseproof paper.
- Flatten out using your hands and break up with a spoon. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, flipping around 3-4 times at intervals to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to crisp up further.
- Pour over your favourite milk alternative to serve.