[donotprint] I never would have thought I would be considering soup irresistible…but it has happened. I raved about the blood orange and roasted red pepper soup last week…and I’m about to do something similar about another wondrous bowl full of goodness!
I mentioned last week my inability to satisfy my endless curry craving with any one meal so inevitably I’m eating a hell of a lot of curry flavoured things, the majority of which I manage to save myself for until my evening meal where I can lash the curry powder on whatever random bowl of food I end up throwing together.
With the curry craving fighting strong I took to incorporating it in a soup…curried parsnip and apple to be more specific! Rather than roasting the parsnips which I was tempted to do I boiled them up in the vegetable stock along with the apple, curry powder and other add ins which made for the perfect consistency once pureed.
I added in a little almond milk at the end to give it a final creamy consistency. The final result was a thick, creamy, luscious bowl of heavenly curried flavoured soup. The distinct flavours of the parsnip, tart apple and strongly spiced curry powder all fought their own corner and balanced themselves out beautifully. I had a feeling the curry powder might over power or perhaps outshine the other ingredients, but it simply complimented the other naturally intense flavours in the mix.
Seen as I was going down the curry route I took to making some vegan gluten free Naan bread to pair up along side it; it just seemed appropriate…and worked out incredibly well. Perfect of dipping and scooping up the remainder of the thick and creamy soup in the end of the bowl.
And of course any good soup wouldn’t be complete without something interesting piled high on top and in this case overflowing on the side. I went with parsnip and apple crisps.
So easy to make, simply slice, lay flat and bake. The crisps were crunchy, sweet and savoury, and definitely something I will be making more of! I would happily scoff through a bag of these as a snack any time of the day!
Who knew pureed vegetables could be so darn irresistible!!! [/donotprint]
Curried Parsnip and Apple Soup
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 2 medium parsnips, diced
- 1/2 medium leek finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 310ml (1 1/4 cup) vegetable stock
- 45ml (3 tbsp) almond milk
- 1/2 medium Bramley apple peeled and diced
- 1 heaped tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp fresh coriander
Parsnip and Apple Crisps
- 1/2 medium Gala apple finely sliced
- 1/2 small parsnip finely sliced
- Add leek, garlic and oil to a pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in curry powder, parsnip, and coriander, stir well to coat and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12- 15 minutes (until parsnips are tender). Add in apple and cook for a further 3-5 minutes, until they are also tender. Stir in agave syrup, 1 tbsp fresh coriander, remove from the heat and puree using a hand blender.
- Return to the heat, season with salt and pepper and pour in almond milk. Simmer for a further couple of minutes to heat through. Serve topped with apple and parsnip crisps.
- Preheat oven to 120C (250F).
- Slice apple and parsnip thinly using a mandolin.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, well spaced apart. Bake in the oven for 30 –40 minutes on the lower tray. They will crisp up even further once removed from the oven so don’t worry if they aren’t perfectly crisp when you initially remove.