[donotprint] Sometimes the simplest of ingredients, sliced and plated up beautifully can make for the most amazing meal.
Avocado’s are still on my favourite foods of the moment list, I’m yet to tire of them and love finding new ways of dressing them up, giving them every chance to shine! The avocados and blood orange went so fantastically well together in my previous pretty salad I had to try the classic grapefruit and avocado combination and see if I could create an equally pretty plateful.
This salad was even more straightforward than the previous but came together wonderfully and shined just as brightly. Avocado, grapefruit and beet were the main components, with a simple sweet agave and mustard vinaigrette dressing drizzled over the top and wonderful sprinkling of pistachios.
The grapefruit was bursting with juiciness…there were a few squinting moments during the peeling and slicing process due to some inadvertent squirting! My recent homemade apple crisp discovery proved to be the perfect topping, not only for beauties sake but delivering a delicious bit of crunch and extra sweetness to cut through the sharp grapefruit.
Layered up on a bed of rocket and watercress, the salad was deliciously fresh. I always worry that I’ll only end up hungry not long after a meal that doesn’t include some form of slow release carbohydrate but inclusion of the avocado and generous amount of veggies laying underneath kept me going just as long as some of my more carb rich mid day meals.
Apple Crisps are possibly the best discovery I’ve made this year! I’ve tested them out now with a few different apple varieties, most notably Gala and Bramley. The Gala apples definitely work best, but in terms of packing a punch, although they took a little longer to crisp up, the Bramley won on flavour! The strong tart apple flavour came through almost as intense as having a nibble of the cooking apple raw and intensified furthermore as they were left out in the air to crisp up even more.
A final sprinkling of fresh mint over the ensemble…just because I had it on hand, but it just worked!
What are your favourite homemade crisps of a fruit or vegetable nature? [/donotprint]
Beet, Grapefruit and Avocado Apple Salad
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 – 40 minutes
- 1 large cooked beet sliced
- 1 pink grapefruit sliced
- 1 small avocado peeled and diced
- 2 handfuls of watercress and rocket mixed
- 1 tbsp pistachios chopped
- 1 medium Gala apple
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp fresh mint roughly chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 120C (250F).
- Slice apple and parsnip thinly using a mandolin.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, well spaced apart. Bake in the oven for 30 –40 minutes on the lower tray. They will crisp up even further once removed from the oven so don’t worry if they aren’t perfectly crisp when you initially remove.
- Mix together all dressing ingredients and set to one side.
- Layer salad starting with watercress and rocket, followed by grapefruit, beet, avocado…drizzle over dressing, making sure to coat as much of the salad as you can. Sprinkle over pistachios, lay apple crisps gently across the top and finish off with a little mint.