[donotprint] It’s often I treat myself to fresh blackberries…primarily because if I buy a punnet, aside for the excessive cost, they tend not to last all that long – the last punnet was devoured pre pancake stack.
Apple and blackberries is one of my all time favourite fruit combinations (that list is getting pretty long I will admit!)… The overnight oats parfait was amazing….
The buckwheat pancake packed full of stewed apple and blackberries…to die for…
So I decided to make myself up the perfect weekday morning treat to incorporate the some bouncy blackberries and tart, sweet and soft apple. Apple and blackberry baked oats for one! Topped with fresh blackberries, but of course, walnuts, currants, soy yoghurt and some left over/or conveniently reserved stewed apple.
This is in fact only a Friday treat in the sense that I’m sharing it of a Friday as it was a while back when I actually dug in to this wondrous creation. The blackberries burst open within the oats as they baked, becoming almost jam like and making for a pudding like squidgy baked oats crammed with flavour.
I only used about 1/3 a cup of blackberries, maybe a little closer to half…and maybe I might have eaten the rest of them while the oats baked the night before….totally irresistible!
In other news, not to detract from the main event above, but I officially registered for the women’s mini marathon yesterday morning! Unfortunately having not run it previously they wouldn’t let me register as anything other than a walker or jogger, so a jogger I am and I shall do my upmost to skip my little ass further up the crowds.
I’ve decided to raise money for Marino Therapy Centre, a therapy centre for those suffering from eating distress and eating disorders. Having seen numerous councillors, psychotherapists, a hypnotherapist, doctors, specialists…it wasn’t until I visited Marino that I began to put things in perspective. I attended the group sessions for a few months a few years back and learned more about myself and my eating disorder in those few months than I had in the five years previous. They have a fantastic approach to recovery and I wouldn’t like to think of anyone missing out on the opportunity to avail of treatment in the centre so any funds I raise money for those who are unable to pay for therapy themselves.
Anyone who would like to help me on my quest to raise funds can do so via the donate button in the side bar
Happy Friday!!!! [/donotprint]
Blackberry and Apple Baked Oats
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 35 minutes
- 40g (1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 4 large blackberries chopped
- 1/2 small Bramley apple + 1 tsp water + 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 100ml (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp plain soy yoghurt
- 1/2 tbsp walnuts (half chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp currants
- 3-4 fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Peel and chop apple and place in a pot with water and sugar. Bring to boiling boiling, cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until softened but still retaining its shape.
- Mix together all oat ingredients and place in a lightly greased non stick ramekin (reserve 1/2 tbsp of the apple).
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool for 5 minutes, remove from ramekin and place bottom side up under a preheated grill to toast the underside. Serve warm or chilled with soy yoghurt, blackberries, reserved apple, walnuts and currants.