[donotprint] Whenever we had a special occasion in the house growing up chocolate cake was involved. Maybe not every time but when it came to birthdays no other cake would do!
I still associate chocolate cake with special occasions and far from consider it a healthy treat, not that I’m opposed to an unhealthy every now and then.
One of my all time favourite baked treats, possibly my all time favourite is zucchini bread. Soft nutty fruity sweet cake… I thought it couldn’t get any better…until now! Vegan Chocolate Zucchini bread as entered my world and I have fallen for it hook line and sinker. It is absolutely incredible! What really gets me about this cake/loaf/bread is how fudgy and chocolaty it is!
Aside from it tasting amazing, it’s pretty darn healthy and perfect for a chocolate fix any time, morning noon or night. Warm or cold, straight from the oven or a slice taken from the freezer…it tastes good whichever which way it comes. I left out the raisins on this one and went with chocolate chips and walnuts as my add ins. The only clue that zucchini is even in the cake are the tiny flecks of green but if you had your eyes closed I’d swear blind (pun intended) that not a veggie was included!
Boy was I glad I added those chocolate chips. I’ve nothing to compare it to but I have a feeling that 1/4 cup of chocolate chips were what made this cake all the more special and simply irresistible. I sliced the loaf in to 8 hefty slices, ate one, set one aside for later, packed one for a snack the next day and froze the remaining five for handy grab and go chocolate snacks.
What I love about frozen baked/raw snacks is that if you take them out in the morning by the time it gets to mid morning snack time or even lunch time you’re left with a perfectly fresh treat rather than a potentially warm, slightly dry or squished cake or bar.
I didn’t deviate a whole lot from the regular recipe, why mess with a good thing, though I’m overjoyed, quite literally, that I trialled the chocolate. I would have been more than happy to make my way through a standard loaf but now I have rich intense nutty chocolate cake on hand, no special occasion required!
Perfect way to start a Monday morning if I do say so myself.
What’s your favourite loaf cake? I’m developing a bit of a “thing” for them and have an urge to bake another! [/donotprint]
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Servings – 8 large slices
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 50-55 minutes
- 260g (1 1/4 cup) zucchini finely grated
- 210g (1 3/4 cups) wholegrain spelt flour
- 30g (1/4 cup) Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup Splenda (or sugar)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 375ml (1 1/2 cup) soy milk
- 50g (1/3 cup) walnuts roughly chopped
- 55g (1/3 cup) vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Whisk together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and Splenda (or sugar if using).
- In a separate bowl mix flax egg with soy milk and maple syrup. Add wet to dry and once combined stir in zucchini. Fold in walnut and chocolate chips and pour batter in to a regular sized loaf tin (if using a tin loaf tin line with grease proof paper).
- Lower oven temperature to 180C (350F) and bake for loaf for 50- 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.