It’s not particularly seasonal but I was craving Mac and Cheese and it simply had to be done. I decided to make an old classic, one which I would have posted before I introduced the recipage so it’s sort of gotten lost in the transition. Of all the recipes, this is one that deserves another mention!
I originally made this with canned pumpkin, but with none at hand I simply roasted half a small squash, pureed until smooth and mixed it with the other core vegan mac and cheese sauce ingredients. Toasted pumpkin seeds on top and kale stirred threw make for one extra special bowl of mac and cheese; incredibly moreish!
To bake or not to bake…I lighter option was my preference this time round, though there is a time and place for the heavier breadcrumb topped version; a time that may come round sooner rather than later now that my tastebuds have been tingled with the cheesy pasta dish once more!
The cheesy sauce is ideal for serving alongside your favourite nachos, it would even make a good lasagna topping, a little mini bowl straight from the spoon perhaps?!
I usually use spelt wholegrain pasta but decided to give so gluten free pasta a go and surprisingly it was quite good (it was no spelt though!) I steamed the kale before stirring threw the cheesy pasta to soften it up a little. It was another one of those meals were I shamefully wiped the dish clean with finger, non of that sauce was going to waste!
Despite there being a whole heap of squash in the sauce I’m not sure if presented to someone unfamiliar with squash mac and “cheese” would be surmise that there was any such thing in there.
There are so many vegan mac and cheese variations out there…this one is my all time favourite!
Vegan Squash Mac and Cheese
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup roasted squash puree (roast squash for 30-40 minutes, puree until smooth)
- 1 –2 cloves of garlic (roasted with squash for 15 –20 minutes)
- 70g (2.5oz) uncooked gluten free penne pasta (or spelt)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 large handful of kale, thick stalks removed
- 100ml (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) almond milk
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast (depending on taste)
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cover pasta with boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together all sauce ingredients, place in a pot and bring to the boil over a medium heat, reduce to a simmer, stirring to ensure no lumps form. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Place pumpkin seeds in a dry pan, tossing until they start to pop, 2-3 minutes.
- Drop kale in to pasta water with 1 minute cooking time to go. Drain and drop both in to cheese sauce. Stir to combine.
- Serve topped with toasted pumpkin seeds (don’t forget them they’re key!)