[donotprint] I did a whole heap of baking over the Easter weekend so this week is officially going to be known as cookie week! (ok I don’t have that many actual cookie recipes to share, there are three, but the week will be out before I get around to sharing them all! )
I’m starting with the sweetest and possibly dare I say it before I share the others, favourite of the bunch! My dad did the usual secondary taste test and he preferred the more savoury cookies, but these chocolate chip ones were the ones I found to be the most irresistible. I made them Sunday morning, bright and early and well before breakfast, which inevitably left me wanting to mill in to one, but I managed to wait my patience and save myself until snack time.
The chocolate chips exploded a little which resulted in my fingers becoming a little messy, but no harm was done, licking melted chocolate from my fingers is not something I’m at all opposed to; though it didn’t help with my efforts to resist early morning cookie temptation!
Banana buckwheat chocolate chip cookies….oh my good God these are good! A chewy doughy cookie, sweet and chocolaty and 100% totally seductive. The waft of them from the oven was incredible. Baking anything with banana produces such a wonderful alluring aroma.
I’ve never been a big cookie or biscuit fan, primarily due to the fact that a lot of the store bought ones are a little dry for my liking and no being vegan aside from baking my own or visiting The Happy Pear for a sweet treat, there aren’t a whole heap of baked goods, let alone cookies meat my exacting requirements!
These banana buckwheat cookies are a dream come true! They have a little secret ingredient which gives them a little bit of protein hit…can you guess?? [/donotprint]
Chocolate Banana Buckwheat Cookies
Servings – 6 medium cookies
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 12 -15 minutes
- 120g (1 cup) buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50g (1/4 cup) butter beans
- 1 tbsp apple sauce
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 small banana mashed
- 60g (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 50g (1/4cup) vegan dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Blend together almond milk, applesauce, beans, banana and maple syrup.
- Add wet mixture to flour and baking powder.
- Stir well to combine before folding in chocolate chips.
- Place tablespoons of the mixture on to a baking tray lined with baking parchment. The mixture makes 6 medium cookies but you could have course make 12 smaller ones. Flatten and shape using the back of cold damp spoon. Bake cookies in the oven for 12-15 minutes depending on how soft you want them. Allow to cool on a wire rack; they will harden up a little more once they cool.
- Serve with a tall glass of almond/soy milk for a classic combination.