I had intended to share my 10k treadmill workout from last Saturday but when I sat down to list the speeds I couldn’t remember exactly how it had gone, it sort of happened by chance. I got to 7k and decided to push through to 10k… I shall document the next one.
Monday morning I hit the treadmill once more having taken Easter Sunday as my rest day which was a hell of lot easier to recollect seen as I went in to the gym on a mission and had an idea after five minutes of running what I wanted to achieve. 1km every five minutes was the goal and 8km and 40minutes later the goal was achieved 8 times over. Another good run. Though I will admit I after another sweaty gym session I was looking forward to getting out in the fresh air on Tuesday evening after work.
Despite my love for tofu, grains won over the other night having indulged in super helping of blackened tofu for lunch. I went with the nutty protein rich red Quinoa grain and decided to give it a Thai mix up. Shredded carrot, steamed and shredded kale, cashews and shredded coconut…it was the dressing that gave it it’s pizzazz.
Coconut milk, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, tahini and a little maple syrup for sweetness. It was incredible. The dressing gave the salad a surprising meatiness. I’m not sure if that’s the best way to describe it but it was the first thing that game to mind when I scooped my first mouthful in to me. The flavours were intense, complex and extremely moreish…again another bowl of Quinoa inhaled devoured in record time (must remember to chew!).
A wonderful array of textures, flavours and colours, just what I was craving. It’s one to be eaten chilled seen as the carrots are raw though you could of course adapt it and stir fry the lot for a couple of minutes to heat through as with the Thai Fried Quinoa I made not so long ago.
By the way, thank you to Courtney for explaining the easy way to put together a treadmill workout sheet to share!!!
Recipe shared – check (see below).
Crunchy, chewy, fresh…a deliciously “coconutty”!
Treadmill workout shared – check.
Early to bed….almost check?! It think it will have to become a summer goal as opposed to a spring one!
Thai Red Quinoa Salad
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15-20 minutes
- 60g (2oz) red Quinoa (uncooked weight)
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 1 medium carrot finely grated
- 1 cup kale packed
- 1 tbsp cashews
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cover Quinoa with water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Place kale in a colander and pour over boiling water. Repeat twice more. Run under cold water to prevent it cooking any further and also to ensure it retains it’s vibrant green colour. Tear or shred in to bit size pieces.
- Place cashews in a dry pan and toast for 2-3 minutes, tossing to ensure they don’t burn.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and set to one side.
- When Quinoa is cooked allow to cool before mixing with carrot, kale, 1/2 of coriander, 2/3 of coconut and 1/2 of cashews.
- Pour over dressing and toss well to combine.
- Serve topped with remaining cashews, coconut and coriander.