That said I felt I still needed a boost and finally caved on Thursday evening. Straight after the gym, were I tried out Courtney’s Pyramid workout (I moved the rest time up to 6.5mph (10.5kph)), I nipped straight down to Amphibian King below and picked myself up a batch of SunWarrior Raw Vegan Protein in the Vanilla flavour.
Bag in hand I headed home and whipped up my first smoothie… I wanted to love it, I had every intention of loving it, but I think it might be a bit of an acquired taste. Some smoothie experimentation is definitely on the cards for this coming week!
Next up on the cards….
I simply subbed some of the usual flour, in this case buckwheat, with protein powder. Banana, baking powder and diced pineapple….along with some orange zest. The fruity combination was as amazing as I’d anticipated having devoured the parfait yesterday morning.
I adorned the protein pancakes with yet more clementine segments, diced pineapple, dried pineapple and banana, a little coconut, brazil nuts and the obligatory soy yoghurt for that extra bit of creamy indulgence of a Sunday morning.
This stack is made for one hungry person and will keep you going right up until lunch time! The pineapple chunks and orange zest in the banana batter were two fantastic additions. A whole heap of goodies and goodness, not to mention how wonderful the whole ensemble looks!
Two scoops in I’m not sure if it’s my imagination but I definitely feel stronger, my muscles aren’t as sore (my hamstrings felt like they might snap earlier on in the week!) and I feel psychologically better about the fact that I’m fuelling my body, increasing not only my protein intake but also my calorie intake.
What’s your favourite way to eat up your protein powder? Recipe suggestions welcome!
Vegan Buckwheat Banana Protein Pancakes
Servings – 1 (5 small pancakes)
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 10- 12 minutes
- 30g (1/4 cup) buckwheat flour
- 1 scoop (21g) Vanilla Sunwarrior Protein Powder (others should work)
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 medium banana
- 2 tbsp diced pineapple
- 1 heaped tsp orange zest
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 2 tbsp diced pineapple
- 2 tbsp clementine segments
- 5 pieces dried chewy banana
- 4-5 pieces dried pineapple
- 5-6 pieces shredded coconut
- 1/2 tbsp chopped brazil nuts (3 medium nuts)
- 2 tbsp plain soy yoghurt
- Maple syrup to drizzle
- Blend together al smoothie ingredients with the exception of the orange zest and pineapple. Stir pineapple and orange zest in to batter and set to one side.
- Place 1/4 cup measures of the batter in to a non stick pan and cook for 3 minutes. Flip the pancakes over and cook for a further 2 minutes. (I made 3 and then 2, you don’t want to overload your pan!).
- Serve topped with soy yoghurt, some pineapple, clementine, chewy banana and dried pineapple, shredded coconut and a sprinkling of brazil nuts. Serve remainder of goodies on the side. Drizzle with maple syrup to serve.