[donotprint] Sundried tomatoes are one of those luxury foods, added to pasta a plain sauce you can end up suddenly feeling like a master chef having whipped up something so darn tasty!
Having throw a whole heap of rehydrated sundried tomatoes in to my chickpea pilaf on Monday I was I developed a bit of a taste for them and so when I decided I wanted a burger before heading to the airport I could think of nothing better than incorporated some in to the mix. Going with the sundried tomatoes theme I kept with the associated Italian flavours and chose to base the burger with cannellini beans.
Also in the mix went some roasted red pepper, fresh basil, some nutritional yeast for a hint of cheesiness, a little flax egg as with burgers gone by and this time I opted for some gluten free breadcrumbs for some binding action.
Pinenuts for a little crunch…
Crisp on the outside, soft in the middle, packed full of flavour! It was one burger I found it hard to put down. My carrot fries got a little bit neglected on the side for a time. I took a burger break in order to inhale a few. Roasted thin crisp carrots coasted with plenty of black pepper, a little sea salt and glug of olive oil; after writing glug I Googled it to see if it was a real measurement…so I take that back, two tablespoons of olive oil was not thrown over the carrots, it was more like a quarter of a glug!
Anyway I digress….
The burger was good, it was better than good, it was hugely satisfying a nice change for the usual cumin and coriander undertones which I have habit of adding to everything; again clearly an over generalisation but you catch my drift.
Served on one of my spelt burger buns, a bed of roasted red pepper, fresh spinach and topped off with a few sundried tomatoes just begging to be nibbled, it was a splendid pre travelling meal and kept me going right up until almost bed time (granted that was about 8 o’clock that night….I was in serious need of some beauty sleep…I step off a plane and I’m the opposite of glowing whatever that is!)
What’s your favourite sundried tomato featuring recipe? [/donotprint]
Italian Cannellini Bean Sundried Tomato Burger
Servings –1 Burger
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 80g (3oz) cannellini beans mashed
- 2 medium sundried tomatoes finely diced
- 1/2 tbsp diced roasted red pepper
- 1/2 tbsp finely grated zucchini
- 1/2 tbsp red onion finely diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 3/4 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tbsp toasted roughly chopped pinenuts (toss in a dry pan for 2 minutes)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Burger bun, roasted red pepper, sundried tomatoes and spinach to serve.
- Mix together flaxseeds and water and set to one side for 15 minutes until eggy.
- Add red onion and garlic and one teaspoon of olive oil (reserve other for burger mix) to a pan and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Once flax egg is ready, mix together all burger ingredients with the exception of the basil and pinenuts.
- Fold in pinenuts and basil once everything else is well combined.
- Mold mixture in to a patty using damp hands. Place on a non stick baking tray sprayed with a little light spray cooking oil. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and flip over; return to the oven for ten minutes more or until both sides have browned and the outside is crisp.
- Serve on your burger bun of choice with some sundried tomatoes, roasted red pepper and some fresh spinach (optional but highly recommended!)