God it’s been a long week! It seems like a hell of a lot longer than one weekend ago that I whipped up these brownies. Six of them are now well and truly gone, three remain the fridge, soon to be two as I plan on nabbing one for an afternoon snack today!
I’ve always been a sucker for brownies. If the word brownie appeared on a dessert menu 9 times out of ten I’d have it; unless of course chocolate fondant featured!
Everyone has there own preference when it comes to brownies. Some a little more cakey and some a little more fudgy. I edge/fall full force on the side of fudgy! The last batch I made were fudgy rich pumpkin and walnut brownies which seems like a lifetime ago. With my Birthday last weekend I knew exactly what I wanted and no cake like brownie was going to suffice.
I did a little recipe digging and stumbled upon Emily’s Banana Brownies which sounded incredible! They were also packed with a healthy balance of ingredients to boot.
I adapted the recipe slightly and they turned out fantastically. Fudgy, rich, dense and positively popping with chocolaty goodness. When warmed the chocolate chips within melt and make the whole ensemble that is the perfect brownie just sing!
A little crisp around the edges, soft in the middle….heavenly! I actually packed one of these up with me on my trip to Birmingham during the week which I mentioned in my What I Ate Wednesday post. It went down a treat as I sat and waited for my gate to open aside my big take away cup of camomile tea whilst making the most of the free Wi-Fi! Blogging + Brownies = Me being be so relaxed I’d rather not board the plane which I had not devoured the brownie and lost Wi-Fi signal could have posed a problem!
What way do you like your brownies?
- 240g (2 cups) wholegrain spelt flour
- 100g (1/2 cup) unrefined cane sugar
- 120g (3/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 375ml (1½ cups) almond milk
- 1½ cups mashed ripe banana (3 large)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g (1/4 cup) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and flour.
- In a separate bowl or jug blend together banana, vanilla and milk using a hand blender. Add wet to dry and mix well until well incorporated before folding in chocolate chips.
- Line an 8 * 8 inch brownie tin with greaseproof paper. Pour batter in to tray (it will be quite runny).
- Baked in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing in to 9 generous squares.