Mango’s didn’t enter my vocabulary let alone our trolley as a child; heck I don’t think they were even available on our shop shelves (Mum sitting beside me has just confirmed this). I think the closest I came to eating a mango until about 8 years ago (complete random guess there on the timeline) was in the form of a mango flavoured yoghurt or mixed tropical fruit juice.
God we missed out as kids! Now one of Naoise’s all time favourite fruits, I personally just can’t get enough of them. At the moment they are just beautifully ripe and incredibly juicy; Once sliced the skin just peels away and the flesh is the most incredibly bright vibrant shade of deep yellow.
I’ve picked up a fair few in The Happy Pear over the past couple of weeks and not once have they failed to impress. Whether eaten plain and simple straight from the chopping poured, blitzed in a smoothie, lashed in to an incredible salad, or even baked in some green monster oats or incorporated in an overnight variation, a meal that includes a ripe mango is one sure to make me smile!
It’s been a while since I last had some chili roasted sweet potato and thought it would most definitely be the perfect base and accompaniment to a slight more savoury mango dish.
The roasted chili sweet potato served in a chilled salad was as incredible as I remember it being the first time around again reminding me that I need to give it more of a chance when it comes to my meals (I am just naturally drawn to butternut squash but this was a sharp reminder that I need to embrace change when it comes to roasted orange veggies!)
Also in the mix were some roasted red and yellow pepper strips, steamed kale and some dried mango to compliment the fresh and balance out the heat of the chili with a little bit more sweetness. All coated in a light chili dressing, the end result was out of this world. Not forgetting the sprinkling of fresh mint for a bite of freshness!
I’m just a sucker for mango, and clearly sweet potato, but if you’re a fan of either this is one salad I recommend giving a whirl. I love a bit of heat and a kick in my meals so if you not in love with chili reduce the amount used on the sweet potato and also in the dressing.
Bright and beautiful, a great dish to brighten a gloomy weekday (not that it needs any excuse to be consumed!)
What’s your favourite mango recipe?
Roasted Chili Sweet Potato Mango Salad
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large mango diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 large yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup kale
- 1 tbsp dried mango sliced
- 1/2 tbsp fresh mint roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp mango juice (reserve from when chopping mango – alternatively use orange juice)
- 1/3 tsp chili powder
- 1/3 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Coat sweet potato in olive oil and chili powder, using your hands to toss to ensure even coating.
- Place on a non stick baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove toss and place red and yellow pepper on the tray alongside the cubes. Roast for a further 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together dressing ingredients and set to one side.
- Drop kale in to a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Rinse immediately under cold water upon removing. Chop roughly.
- Mix together all salad ingredients once the vegetables are cold to serve (the combination of the warm vegetables and cold mango also works). Pour over salad dressing, toss well to combine and sprinkle with fresh mint.