[donotprint] It’s been way too long since I made a batch of muffins and so in honour of the blueberry and banana combination that’s been featuring a lot lately…
Healthy wholegrain spelt and banana muffins, bursting with berries and natural sweetness. I made hefty sized ones, though the recipe could be adapted to make 12 smaller muffins (though I would then be more inclined to call them mini muffins and would most definitely have to have two!)
A really simple vegan recipe that is positively fool proof. I see more muffins being made in the near future, it most definitely has been too long!
I mentioned last week about my injury, or briefly touched upon the fact that I couldn’t run. I’m on day 6 of no running and I’m slowly coming around the idea (the muffins are clearly a distraction).
On finding out I couldn’t run I immediately panicked and I will admit, as I admitted immediately to myself and my mum that I was slightly worried about gaining weight at too rapid a weight. Over the past couple of months I’ve managed to put on half a stone. My body has been craving more food and I’ve been listening and fuelling up.
After a day of feeling distraught I got my ass up and went to the gym. I love exercise. Not because I’m obsessed with, not because I want to loose weight but because it helps me to feel balanced, less stressed and more accepting of gaining weight as I know it’s the right kind. I booked myself in for an assessment and picked up my programme a couple of days later. A little cardio on the bike or cross trainer and I’m hitting the weights and loving it!!!!
So here’s my first weight workout that I want to share with you; there will be plenty more to come. Although I’m looking forward to getting back to running when my lower back and hip have recovered, I don’t feel like it’s the be all and end all. Less cardio might be good for me and in the meantime I’m building a stronger healthier body.
Are you a cardio queen and weight loving wonder woman?
And now for the muffins
Vegan Blueberry and Banana Muffins
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 240g (2 cups) wholegrain spelt flour
- 125g (1/2 cup) fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 60ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- 250ml (1 cup) almond milk + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile add lemon juice to milk and set to one side als.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl mix together mashed banana, milk, and flax eggs.
- Add wet to dry and divide mixture evenly in to a muffin tray for nine.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.