(The muffins were the blueberry and banana ones in case you missed them!)
I was doing a bit of perusing over on Angela’s blog and was when I spotted the cranberry coconut oat bars I couldn’t wait to make something similar…so I didn’t! I put my baking hat on (I don’t actually have a baking hat…not that I would be opposed to wearing one!) I got my favourite silicon square tin, gathered my ingredients and did a bit of mixing.
Coconut and banana….you couldn’t go wrong with that combination. Even though I was most definitely excited about them coming out of the oven I was more impressed with the end result than I’d anticipated.
Dense, slightly chewy coconut filled with distinct undertones of banana and kick of sweetness and extra chew from the dried cranberries. A good hearty oat bar perfect for filling the gap between meals. Who ever said, or is still out there saying that snacking should be avoided is seriously missing out!
Why wouldn’t you fill your tummy with a healthy snack, you deserve it!
The top, bottom and edge went just nicely crisp sealing in the chewy oat bar goodness.
Having suffered from eating disorders for years I know there are clearly reasons people avoid eating snacks. One of the biggest lessons I learned when I suffered from bulimia and binge eating disorder is that the more you deprive yourself of something the more you will crave it and in my case and for many men and women out there, the more likely you are to binge on it.
Healthy snacks and small meals throughout the day (or snacks and large meals which is now the case for me) makes sure you don’t get to the point of getting so hungry that you want to eat everything in site. It’s all about balance!
These are some of the best, if not thee best oat bars I’ve ever had. Loved the texture, flavour and they smelt pretty darn good straight from the oven as well.
Do you eat snacks or do you stick to three square meals a day?
Cranberry Banana Coconut Oat Bars (adapted from Oh she glows)
Servings- 8 bars
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time -
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup (40g) dried cranberries
- 1.5 cups (135g) rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (40g) wholegrain spelt flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup (60ml) applesauce
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line an 8 inch square pan with parchment.
- Mix together mashed banana, milk, maple syrup, apple sauce and vanilla extract until perfectly smooth (blend if necessary to remove banana chunks).
- In a separate bowl mix together oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, coconut and dried cranberries.
- Add wet to dry and stir well to combine.
- Place mixture in to square pan, smooth out the surface with the back of wet tablespoon and bake in the oven 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing in to 8 bars or whatever you fancy!