[donotprint] It is wrong to want to bathe in a smoothie? Well this new green monster is one of those occasions where it was so incredibly good I would happily do so! Sometimes you just hit on a winner, for whatever reason, the freshness of the fruit, the frozenness of the banana, the perfect mix of flavours…
I was inspired by a green smoothie I saw a colleague sipping on last week. A store bought one of course which will remain nameless…ok so it might have been this innocent one (I’m no good at keeping secrets!)
Green monsters are always my go to smoothie and when I don’t have time to think outside the box it usually a mix of mango and banana with a heap full of spinach and almond milk and of course the obligatory Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein Powder.
The fundamentals of course stayed the same….almond milk, Sunwarrior, frozen banana, spinach…
In the mix also went applesauce, kiwi, a squeeze of lime and a little zest, topped off with coconut, dried banana and some flaked almonds for a delicious texturised stir threw.
It was most definitely a winner. I’m a big kiwi fan but for some reason never think of them when it comes to smoothies, until now! The applesauce, my own homemade pureed Bramley’s with a little water, was a fantastic addition. The end result was a super thick and creamy green monster smoothie which deserved nothing less than to be scooped out of one my favourite bowls. The lime and kiwi combo gave it a wonderful kick of fresh zingy-ness like no other.
It almost beats my other favourite green monsters…I’m not sure I could pick a number one but here’s a few links should you fancy trying out a few more concoctions!
- Mango and Zucchini Green Monster (it was one of the first!)
- Zucchini Bread Green Monster Smoothie (it’s all in the toppings and the cinnamon)
- Mango Kale Green Monster Smoothie (first kale monster success)
Do you have a favourite green monster combination??? [/donotprint]
Zingy Kiwi, Apple, and Lime Green Monster Smoothie
Servings –1 (2 cups)
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
- 300ml (1 + 1/4 cup) almond milk
- 2 generous handful fresh raw spinach
- 1/2 small banana frozen
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (1 medium Bramley apple stewed and pureed with 2 tsp of water)
- 1 scoop Vanilla Sunwarrior Protein Powder
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
- 3 small kiwi’s peeled and diced
- 1 small kiwi peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 4-5 pieces dried chewy banana
- Blend together all smoothie ingredients until perfectly smooth.
- Served topped with coconut, fresh kiwi, dried banana and flaked almonds.