This week I decided to step away from the traditional date, nut and oat mix (I say tradition, it’s really just my go to mix) and did a bit of experimenting with one of my favourite sweet breads…zucchini but of course!
Zucchini Raisin Walnut Loaf….it wasn’t something I’d ever tried or heard of until a few months and since then it’s had it’s fair share of experiments.
It was about time I got around to making a raw zucchini energy ball! I wasn’t really sure how it would go, but I guess that’s the nature of experiments but much to my delight it turned out as delicious and zucchini bread like as I could have dreamed!
It’s so easy to make different variations of raw bars/balls, it can’t really go all that terribly too wrong once you have your basic proportions down. Fruit, to oats/flour/protein powder to nuts…and then what ever flavours your feeling a fancy for.
With the zucchini bread balls I decided in roll in a few currants as well for an extra bit of texture and zucchini bread texture as well as a good dash of cinnamon for the perfectly authentic zucchini bread flavour.
All whizzed up and rolled together, a handy snack in mere minutes though I will admit they are better once refrigerated and given a chance to harden back up a little. Zucchini bread cookie dough…can you imagine it?
You don’t have to! These balls are where the raw zucchini bread cookie dough is at. Having only made my way through two of them I’m already itching to make another variation. If they go well I may give a little sneak preview in tomorrow’s What I Ate Wednesday post!
Have you tried to recreate your favourite pie/cake flavour in raw bar or ball? If so what is it and was it a success?
Raw Zucchini Bread Protein Energy Balls
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
- 90g (3oz) dates
- 25g (1oz) pecans
- 1/2 tbsp currants
- 1 scoop (21g) Raw Vanilla Sunwarrior
- 25g (1/4 cup) rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 heaped tbsp grated zucchini
- Place dates to food processor and process on high until they form a paste. Remove and set to one side.
- Add pecans to food processor and process until finely chopped. Add in oats and blitz for a few seconds until flour like.
- Drop pieces of the dates paste in on top of the almonds, and oats, along with the Sunwarrior and cinnamon and process until fine crumbs are formed. Add in zucchini and process until the mixture comes together.
- Remove, fold in currants and divide in to six balls. Roll in
- Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour minutes to firm up. Store in the fridge.