[donotprint] I was going to start this post by saying that I’m all about chilled breakfasts in the summertime… the reality is chilled breakfasts are what I have at least 5 out of 7 days all year round as belly warming oats and pancakes aren’t an option before my 7am start in work.
I do however enjoy the chilled breakfast even more when the summer does come around and there’s nothing better than having a supersized overnight oats parfait sitting waiting in the fridge on my return from the gym of a Saturday morning.
What makes them even more special, totally irresistible and fabulous is the fact that so many delicious fruits are now at their best. I a big berry lover, filling my belly with a punnet full is a regular and expensive occurrence.
I just can’t resist berries, of the blue, pink or cherrylicious variety (especially the latter!) Chocolate and berries…now that’s another story altogether. It’s the perfect breakfast combination. Raspberries are absolutely incredible at the moment. Frozen blueberries all year round I can deal with but frozen raspberries are just no where near the same as fresh; no thawing can bring such a bouncy beautiful berry back to life.
I decided to whip up some chocolate Alpro Soya yoghurt like I did on this occasion….. instead of messing with the overnight oat mix. Banana and smashed fresh raspberries made for some delicious creamy fruity oats. Layered up with pistachios, more fresh raspberries and the chocolate soy yoghurt. The only missing ingredient which thankfully I considered before layering were some dark chocolate chips!!!
The end result was positively dessert like. Having breakfasts like this make sure my sweet tooth is kept in check until actual post dinner dessert time comes back around!
A sprinkling of desiccated coconut (which admittedly I almost forgot to mention until I looked at the pictures!) added another naturally sweet dimension to the whole ensemble. It was quite a beaut!
What’s your favourite chilled breakfast treat? [/donotprint]
Chocolate and Raspberry Overnight Oats Parfait
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes + Overnight
- 40g (1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 1 tbsp buckwheat groats
- 1/2 small banana finely sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp fresh raspberries
- 125ml (1/2 cup) boiling water
- 125g (1/2 cup) plain soy yoghurt + 1 tbsp Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp roughly chopped pistachios
- 1/2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Mix together all over night oats ingredients, smashing raspberries and mashing banana slightly. Place in the fridge overnight or for at least four hours in a seal tight container.
- Whisk together soy yoghurt and cocoa powder before building parfait.
- Layer up 1/3 of each of the ingredients, starting with oats, followed by soy yoghurt, pistachios, chocolate chips, coconut and finally fresh raspberries.
- Repeat twice more, topping with a few fresh raspberries and remaining chips, coconut and pistachios.