Those meals were you “umm” and “awe” right the way through, the foods that get better with every bite…this chickpea and broccoli burger was one of those occasions. Simply divine; emphasis on the simple!
It doesn’t require a whole heap of ingredients, it binds together without a bother and it tastes absolutely incredible all thanks to the fact that it contains to of the most wonderful ingredients ever to grace my palate; chickpeas and tahini!
It’s been far too long since I had a good burger so I wanted to make sure it met the mark and satisfied all my cravings in one fell swoop. It had to be a big, super tasty, crisp on the outside, soft in the middle patty served on a bun. I whipped up a batch of my spelt burger buns seen as I disappeared the last one with my vegan egg salad not so long ago (definitely need to make more of this!)
There is just something so satisfying about a burger, nothing else compares. When you get that urge for a patty sandwiched between a bun with some of your favourite toppings and sides it just has to be satisfied!
On the side I made a simple grated carrot and poppy salad with a little tahini paste, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. The burger itself was served on a bed on thinly sliced gherkin and crunchy alfalfa sprouts. The burger packed quite enough flavour on its own, no sauce required!
What’s your favourite bean/pulse to incorporate in a veggie/vegan burger?
Vegan Chickpea Broccoli Tahini Burger
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 80g (1/2 cup) cooked chickpeas roughly pureed
- 1/4 cup broccoli steamed and processed
- 1 small clove of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp white onion finely diced
- 1/2 tbsp spring onions finely sliced
- Drop of olive oil
- 1 tsp tahini paste
- 1 tbsp gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- A olive oil, onion, garlic and spring onion to a pan and cook for 3-5 minutes; until onion is soft and translucent.
- Mix together all ingredients. Mould together to form a patty of your desired shape about 1-1/5 inches thick.
- Place on a non stick baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, turning once during this time.
- Serve on your bun of choice; gherkins and alfalfa sprouts recommended!