I didn’t wait long to slice it up!
It’s one I made before, one of my favourite cakes and I was determined to perfect it. The first time around it was good, great even, though having not experimented a whole lot with vegan baking I was impressed with whatever I made! It could have done with being a little bit lighter, a little bit fluffier….
Mission complete! I didn’t get a whole heap of cooking or baking done over the weekend but I knew if I got the opportunity this was the one thing I was going to make and by god I was glad I did.
Super duper healthy, it’s one of those cakes that you have to have a big hunk of a slice of, otherwise it’s just not worth having. It’s all about the “hunk”
I devoured my first hunk on Sunday afternoon sitting out in the last bit of afternoon sunshine and packed up another for a morning snack on Monday. I’ve a couple frozen and the rest got gobbled up by my parents; my number one taste tester, my Dad, of course ate the majority of it!
It’s possibly the easiest and quickest cake ever to whip up. It’s pretty darn fool proof which is kind of hard to come by with a cake. Just sweet enough, plenty of zing, dense and light in all the right places, a little bit of a crust and cooked through to perfection (if I do say so myself!) Unbelievably moist (I hate that word as a descriptor but there’s simply no other way to describe it!)…I guess I could just say it wasn’t dry but it wouldn’t have the same impact.
Loaf cakes tend to take a little bit longer to cook but this one was in and out in 25 minutes flat. My problem when it comes to baking is my lack of patience and my inability to restrain myself and leave the oven door shut. I have a tendency/habitual habit of removing cakes from the oven to test them with toothpicks throughout cooking. No one likes an undercooked cake…but an overcooked dry cake…well there’s just no going back! My motto…better to be safe than sorry!
Lemon and Lime is such an amazing combination and shouldn’t be saved for just cakes!
If you like the cake why not try…
- Lemon Lime and Poppy Seed Overnight Oats Parfait
- Lemon Lime and Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Lemon Lime and Poppy Seed Smoothie
If there is a cake that says summer to me it’s lemon lime and poppy seed!
What’s your favourite summer cake?
Lemon Lime and Poppy Seed Cake
Servings – 7-8
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 270g (2 1/4 cup) spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 80ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 125ml (1/2 cup) applesauce
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) lemon and lime juice (squeeze half and half from fresh lemons and limes)
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds and lemon and lime zest.
- In a separate bowl mix together almond milk, applesauce, lemon and lime juice and almond milk.
- Add wet to dry and stir well to combine.
- Place mixture in to a loaf tin (2lb) lined with baking parchment.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before slicing.