But a bowl full of lentils can actually be quite incredible! Once you mix em up with a host full of other yummy ingredients. Angela’s protein goddess bowl is pretty much famous at this stage so with a longing for a chilled salad, my body craving protein, a take on her classic was called for.
I went down the semi cooked semi raw route seen as my body isn’t the biggest fan of eating a bowlful of raw veggies but I was longing for a bit of freshness.
In the mix went red and yellow pepper, red onion all grilled, the red onion brought back to life with the super trick! Blanched kale, fresh plum tomatoes simply sliced in two halves, basil and parsley, along with a whole can of cooked Bijoux lentils. Tahini dressing brought the whole thing together wonderfully along with what I might just call the key ingredient, black pitted olives. They just complimented all the other ingredients perfectly and made it all the more delicious.
It was just what I needed. Plenty of protein, lots of veggies and super satisfying all round. Refreshing, slightly zingy thanks to the lemon in the tahini dressing and incredibly tasty. It’s one of those bowls of salad that could be easily adapted depending on what ingredients you have at hand.
I would highly recommend kale over spinach though! I just love the flavour of kale and tahini dressing together…one of my favourite salads of all time contains both and this protein rich bowl of lentils is up there with the best of them.
After eating my body weight in chickpeas over the past couple of weeks it was about time I gave them a rest and lentils were the perfect replacement. I’d forgotten how much I loved them! Little beads of protein rich goodness. Straight from the can it doesn’t really get any easier.
What’s your favourite summer protein rich salad?
Rainbow Protein Bowl
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can of Bijoux Lentils (400g/14oz)
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion sliced
- 1 cup kale roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp basil chopped
- 8-10 black olives sliced in half
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and set to one side.
- Coat red onion, red and yellow pepper with tsp of olive oil and place under a preheated grill. Leave to cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing at least once. Remove and allow to cool. Sprinkle onion with a couple of dashes of lemon juice to bring the pigment back to life and unleash it’s pinkness.
- Place kale in a colander and pour over boiling water. Repeat and then rinse immediately with cold water.
- Mix together all other salad ingredients, along with cooled pepper and onion. Pour over dressing and stir well to combine.