[donotprint] As you might have noticed pancakes are a regular occurrence around these parts at the weekend. They’re a Sunday morning staple and I look forward to creating new varieties every week.
I’ve been loving my baked pancakes over the past couple of weeks but I decided to switch it up a bit and do a bit of flipping this week. I always get a little nervous, will it make it back in the pan in one piece, will it end up being a bowl of pancake rather than the perfectly rolled, deliciously filled pretty pancake that I envisage.
I don’t know why I sweat it, more often than not it works out perfectly! This was one of those occasions.
Raspberry, Banana and Chocolate Buckwheat Crepe like pancake. It’s more of a crepe meet pancake, not as thin as a crepe though no were near as thick as a pancake. Ideal for filling with what ever goodies your heart desires.
Raspberry, Banana and Chocolate just go so well together, I knew it would be a winner. Pistachios, dried chewy banana and coconut garnished the beauty quite gracefully. Finished off with a drizzle of maple syrup it was almost a shame to dig in.
Ok so I got over that pretty quickly! I got right in there, savouring every mouthful. The only little tweak/addition I would make if I was making this again….
I’d sprinkle it with a few chocolate chips just because you can never have enough chocolate when it comes to breakfast. (Probably not the truest or fairest of statements but a few chocolate chips go a long way!)
The batter for the pancake is possibly the easiest pancake batter you’ll ever come across with a mere three ingredients and if you don’t fancy a chocolate pancake you can reduce it down to two. Delicious pretty pancakes are good but they’re even better when they can be whipped up in no time.
Water, buckwheat flour and cocoa powder that’s it. The key is to make it at least 30 minutes before you want to make your pancake. I set mine aside in the fridge and it just makes for a more manageable flexible pancake. That said I have made a buckwheat batter right before cooking and although a little more delicate it made it to the plate in one piece.
What’s your favourite quick, easy and fool proof pancake batter? [/donotprint]
Chocolate Raspberry and Banana Buckwheat Pancake
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 30 minutes
Cooking Time – 5-6 minutes
- 45g (1/3 cup) buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 165ml (2/3 cup) water
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 small banana sliced and diced
- 1/2 tbsp chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 5-6 pieces dried chewy banana
- 2 tbsp plain soy yoghurt
- Maple syrup to drizzle
- Whisk together all pancake batter ingredients and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large flat bottomed non stick pan/skillet over a medium heat. Pour in batter and cook for 2-3 minutes, until edges solidify and the whole pancake starts to cook through. Flip over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Place on your plate, lay the majority of the raspberries and banana down the centre, sprinkle with half of the pistachios and coconut and fold in two sides. Place soy yoghurt dried and sliced fresh banana on top.
- Sprinkle with coconut and remaining pistachios, drizzle with maple syrup and place remaining raspberries, banana, fresh and dried on the side.