Figs! The ultimate “figgy” combination for me is peaches, both perfectly ripe, sweet and juicy, grilled a little to intensify the flavours even more.
Combined with some crunchy steamed green beans and fluffy quinoa mixed up with toasted hazelnuts and coconut, the only thing missing was a complimentary, slightly zingy yet creamy dressing. Ye I pretty much didn’t know what I wanted so I tried to satisfy all my cravings!
A tahini balsamic lime mustard dressing…with a little hit of maple syrup for sweetness. It was beautiful. That’s the only way to describe it. The dressing worked so well with all the fruity savoury and toasted flavours of the salad. The figs were some of the best I’ve had in a long time. The last packet left on the shelves, my little (in the younger senses) big (in the twice the height of me sense) brother who works in the store put them aside for me
Positively melt in the mouth. As I took in one mouthful I was anticipating the next. I of course gave it a good mix up and didn’t look quite so pretty but I had to distribute that dressing and all it’s deliciousness.
I love when an experiment works out well!
Just looking at it now is making me crave more…even just more of those figs and I’d be happy. When I buy figs I try and make the most of them by using them in something wonderful rather than just eating them straight from the bag or packet in which they reside. The joys of Barcelona last year….fresh figs available by the bucket load for about 1/5 of the price that they are here.
Enough digressing… the ingredient list might seem long but the salad comes together in no time and every element is must. Everything plays a wondrous part. The toasted coconut and hazelnuts provided a delicious savoury crunchy toasty twist. I don’t use enough hazelnuts but I’ve been on a kick since that amazing coffee smoothie!
What fruit can you not help but splurge on?
Figgy Peach Green Bean Quinoa Salad
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15-20 minutes
- 1/2 cup green beans sliced in half
- 3 small fresh figs sliced in half
- 2 small peaches sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh rocket
- 1 tbsp dried shredded coconut (shavings)
- 1 tbsp hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup quinoa + 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp tahini paste
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp water
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Cover quinoa with water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until all the water has been absorbed.
- Place sliced figs and peaches under a preheated grill and grill for 8-10 minutes, turning at least once. Set to one side to cool.
- Place hazelnuts and coconut in a dry pan and toast for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Whisk together tahini, lime juice, water and balsamic with salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Drop green beans in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove and rinse immediately under cold water.
- Mix together figs, peaches, quinoa, green beans and rocket along with 2/3 of the coconut and hazelnuts.
- Drizzle salad with dressing and top with remaining hazelnuts and coconut to serve.