Well maybe if pumpkin and tofu curry wasn’t on offer! I’ve been craving a whole lot of fruit, yoghurt and milk of late, all soy or almond of course. As much as I love my quinoa flakes bakes a big old bowl of cereal with fresh juicy berries and peanut butter….you just can’t go wrong.
I pictured this amazing bowlful prior to drowning it in almond milk. It’s such a satisfying array of goodies!
Overnight buckwheat and puffed amaranth…combined with Organic Smooth Meridian Peanut Butter (my new favourite peanut butter for sure, it’s so rich and natural). This bowlful is the perfect balance of sweet and savoury, fresh and dry, and when drowned in milk and all mixed up together, which doesn’t look quite so pretty it is the perfect mound of deliciousness that has been repeated a couple of more times since Tuesday!
I made puffed amaranth before and feel in love with it. The slightly toasted flavour of the puffed grains is incredible. The overnight buckwheat groats which are a staple ingredient in my overnight oats are a super handy way to mix it up a little bit, add another flavour, a high quality protein and nice slight nutty chewiness.
It’s about time this superfood took it’s resurgence!
“Using cheese protein as a reference, researchers concluded that the protein in amaranth ‘is among the highest in nutritive quality of vegetable origin and close to those of animal origin products.’” Source
It’s a must for vegetarians and vegan’s alike!
Sugar free healthy super tasty highly satisfying cereal ready in minutes…why buy anything else
Do you buy or make your own cereal?
Amaranth Buckwheat Cereal Bowl
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes + Overnight
- 1 tbsp blueberries
- 1 tbsp cherries
- 1 tbsp strawberries sliced
- 1/2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 60g (1/4 cup) raw amaranth
- 3 tbsp raw buckwheat groats
- 250ml (1 cup) almond milk to serve
- Heat a large pot over med-high heat.
- When fully heated, add in 1 tbsp of raw amaranth, cover with a lid and quickly shimmy/slide the pot back and forth on the burner. If your heat is set correctly it should pop within 15-20sec. Empty popped amaranth to a bowl + repeat the process again until all amaranth has been popped. Once cooled seal up in an airtight container.
- Cover buckwheat groats in boiling water and place in a seal tight container in the fridge overnight.
- Drain excess water off buckwheat groats and rinse under cold water. Serve alongside puffed amaranth, fresh berries with peanut butter on top and drown in almond milk before mixing it all up and delving in.