Like a light bulb going off in my head, I pretty much saw it over above as the idea sprang to mind…Tandoori Tofu! Why not? Why hadn’t I thought of it before? Why hadn’t I made it before? (clearly because I hadn’t though of it…just go with it!)
Typically my mum tends to buy a tandoori spice mix which I consider using but then looking at the ingredient list aside from the necessary spices it had a few extra ingredients that were completely unnecessary. In fact the spice mix is quite unnecessary as our large collection pretty much facilitates any concoction I fancy whipping up!
Spices, seasoning, lemon juice and soy yoghurt, whisked up together early in the morning leaving the tofu to marinate for the day. Stuck under the grill (it isn’t quite barbecue whether in Ireland at the moment unless you fancy standing in your wellies with an umbrella overhead while tossing your tofu).
But what to have with it….my new favourite side dish of course! Cauliflower rice! Raw cauliflower blitzed in the food processor until fluffy, mixed with roasted cherry tomatoes, diced gherkins, season with salt and pepper, cumin and fresh coriander. I am in love with this side/salad! It’s incredible!
I love my roasted cauliflower and have tried raw cauliflower in the past but blitzed in to teeny tiny pieces…serve this up to people and don’t tell them what it is and they won’t have a clue what it is, not quite rice like as it’s a little crunchy with the appearance of couscous…amazing!
Served with a dollop of plain soy yoghurt on top, lemon on the side…it was one amazing plate of food.
Tofu rarely fails to impress but the tandoori marinade really was incredible. When the sun eventually comes back out to play I will definitely be trying this one out on the barbecue the first chance I get!
Ever tried raw cauliflower? If you haven’t blitz some up, I promise you will be impressed with it’s natural raw awesomeness!
Tandoori Tofu with Raw Cauliflower Rice Salad
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 3-12 hours
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 200g (7oz) firm tofu sliced in two
- 2 tbsp plain soy yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 2 pinches of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup baby plum tomatoes + 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 gherkins finely diced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp plain soy yoghurt to serve + a little fresh coriander for sprinkling on top
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- Mix together all tofu marinade ingredients and pour over tofu. Place in the fridge for 4-12 hours or even overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Slice plum tomatoes in half and place on a baking sheet with a little drizzle of olive oil and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Place cauliflower in a food processor and blitz until fluffy. Mix with cooled tomatoes, gherkins, lemon juice, coriander and black pepper and set to one side.
- Preheat grill to high. Remove tofu from marinade and place under preheated grill for 3-5 minutes either side, until browned and starting to crisp.
- Serve tofu sliced on top of the cauliflower rice salad, dollop of soy yoghurt on top and a sprinkling of spring onions and coriander.