Poppy seeds, lemon and lime zest, a little squeeze of juice in a gluten free pancake batter. It was quite the little experiment.
Ok so I had an inkling they would work but I wasn’t sure how the gluten free flour would work as the base. The pancake wasn’t quite as fluffy as my usual baked pancakes and a little more crisp around the edges. It was different which I didn’t expect, different but good different. Who wants the same pancakes every week?! (clearly not me!)
It’s been a bit of random week of food, lots of experiments, a few foodie photos gone wrong thanks to dull dark weather not giving me the natural light I desire and not taking the time to make it look pretty. You win some you lose some…I was almost stressing about it (check out yesterday’s post for more insight in to my stressed mind!) but I’m only human, striving for perfection all the time is not good for my health!
If all else fails you can always count on pancakes! Zingy, fresh and fruity, paired with kiwi, dried chewy banana and brazils…as well as sprinkling of more poppy seeds, some coconut and a little extra lemon and lime zest and I was happy to dig in.
It was a definitely one of the hardest plates of pancakes to resist while taking a few photos. The aroma of lemon and lime was intense, drawing me in to take a bite.
They were incredible! Just the Sunday morning pick me up I needed! Something I never have is leftovers. What’s on my plate I eat but I’ve been thinking about making some pancakes to pack up for a midweek breakfast but I’m not sure how well they would travel?!
That first fork full is where it’s at!
Do you ever have leftover pancakes to eat the next day or do you ever make a special batch to pack up for your travels?
Vegan Gluten Free Lemon Lime & Poppy Seed Pancakes
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
- 60g (1/2 cup) plain gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 60ml (1/4 cup) applesauce
- 60ml (1/4 cup) banana puree
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 5-6 pieces dried banana
- 1/2 tsp lemon and lime zest
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 kiwi sliced
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 4 brazil nuts roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp plain soy yoghurt
- Maple syrup to drizzle.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Blend together flour, baking powder, milk, applesauce and banana until smooth. Stir threw lemon and lime zest and poppy seeds.
- Line a 7/8 inch pan with baking parchment. Pour batter in to pan and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve pancake topped with soy yoghurt, fresh kiwi, lemon and lime zest, dried banana, brazils, coconut and few more poppy seeds for good measure. Drizzle with maple syrup for a hit of sweetness.