Yesterday’s baked pancakes were a lemon and lime wonder and of course when it came to preparing meals for today they were still heavily on mind (they were not long in my tummy!) and so you’ll never guess what I made…
Lemon Lime and Poppy Seed Baked Oats! It feels like so long since I’ve had baked oats seen as I’ve been experimenting with the Quinoa Flake Bakes over the past few weeks. They are the new breakfast love of my life…
That said, you don’t realise what you’ve got until it’s gone, or in this case until you have it again. I had forgotten how cake like baked oats can be. A heavier cake like texture than the quinoa flake bake and one that I will admit I have missed. A change is as good as a rest I guess, I over played the whole baked oats thing week in week out but that’s just because they’re so damn good!
The lemon and lime baked oats worked so well. The poppy seeds were a fantastic addition and along with some kiwi in the mix the little tower was a fruity surprise. It really was very similar to the poppy seed loaf. Plenty of zing! Topped off with brazils, coconut and yet more poppy seeds as well as a little dried chewy banana (because I can’t live without my hit of dried fruit in at least 2 or 3 of my meals a day!).
The soy yoghurt was deliciously creamy on the side. Some baked oats really call out for something creamy. The lemon and lime needed something soft and creamy to make the perfect mouthful. Crunchy, chewy, fruity, fresh, soft and fluffy….
They have it all!
I can’t get enough of lemon and lime at the moment. I love my lemon in my big mug of hot water in the morning…but fresh lemon and lime is a whole new mug of fantastic freshness!
Baked Oats or Quinoa Flake Bake…what’s your preference?
Lemon Lime and Poppy Seed Baked Oats
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 40g (1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 small kiwi peeled and diced
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 1 small kiwi peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp plain soy yoghurt
- 1/4 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp desiccated coconut
- 5-6 pieces dried chewy banana
- 3-4 Brazil nuts roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together all oat ingredients. Place in a lightly greased ramekin and baked for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for five minutes before removing from the ramekin or just dig straight in!
- Serve topped with soy yoghurt, kiwi, dried banana, Brazils, coconut and poppy seeds. All the extras can go on the side!