They’re finally super cheap and readily available by the bucket load (well not quite, small punnets but I’ve bought and eaten enough to fill a bucket!)
Not just fresh cherries might I add. I finally managed to find some dried cherries!!! Tart sour dried chewy cherries, love em!
Seen as they’re so reasonably priced I took full advantage and made a delicious fresh cherry filled smoothie. My other new found love this week has been almond extract. Almonds and cherries = heaven.
When I was younger we used to get these dense cakes called almond fingers, I think they may have been made with almond meal. They were incredible with a really intense almond flavour. A drop or two of almond essence in a smoothie makes it instantly taste of them…so nostalgic and incredibly delicious!
Speaking of cherry pie, I’ve actually never had one! I’d imagine it would taste something like this smoothie. I was never a big fan of cherry flavour things growing up; cherry flavoured yoghurt was always passed up or left for my not as fussy Dad to eat!
Now that I’ve acquired such a taste for fresh cherries I’m dreaming of cherry flavour things I want to create. First up however will be a cherry filled pancake stack this weekend. I have a couple of other pancake mix experiments to try out while I’m at it that I think will compliment the cherries fantastically; as longs they don’t crumble
It’s been a damn busy week but I’ve been trying to make sure to keep myself in check, taking time to relax a little and when I don’t feel like doing something not pushing myself. Some examples include…
- I wasn’t feeling the elliptical so I hoped straight off and on to a bike for a change….
- I was tired and a little irritable and my fingers were sore from typing so I took a night off preparing blog posts… (this took a whole heap of effort let me tell you!)
- The sun was shining when I cam home from the gym and I had the choice of going for a walk or preparing a new recipe…I went for a walk.
And when then I really really wanted another cherry smoothie so I made one identical to this baby! Why mess with a good thing!
Cherry Bakewell Smoothie
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
- 310ml (1 1/4 cup) almond milk
- 1 cup fresh chopped pitted cherries
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1/4 cup (20g) rolled oats
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2-3 fresh cherries
- 1/2 tbsp chopped dried cherries
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- Blend together all smoothie ingredients until perfectly smooth.
- Serve in your bowl of choice with topping strewn on top and stirred threw for extra deliciousness.