Simple, fresh, clean, healthy…a perfectly balanced, beautiful teriyaki tofu bowl.
Sometimes it the meals that you don’t spend a whole heap of time preparing that end up being the most amazing, incredibly delicious and super satisfying (the almond patties were definitely another wonderful surprise).
I’ve been craving simplicity over the past week….that and I only have the time for pure simplicity. I’ve been trying to slow down the pace, not running around like a headless chicken the whole time and slowing down means I’m left with a little less time or else I’m just getting less done in the same amount of time?! I’m not sure, but either way it’s working!
I’m feeling a less stressed it has to be said!
Just teriyaki tofu was just saucy enough. The flavours were incredible and incredibly moreish. I could have gone another portion…luckily enough I had plenty of rice noodles and some fresh shredded veggies on the side. It all worked so well together.
When I decided I fancied tofu I wasn’t sure what I wanted to create, what flavours to combine. I was inspired by Mama Peas Teriyaki Chickpeas. I almost deviated and went down the chickpea route (chickpeas and tofu…it’s always a bit of a toss…I’m equally addicted to both of them!)
Slightly sticky, sweet, salty…all the good elements of Chinese takeaway without all the added monosodium glutamate (MSG). Who said damn tasty food has to be jam packed full of unnecessary additives!
Here are a few other Chinese tofu recipes you might have missed out on!
What’s your favourite take out meal and have you ever tried to recreate it?
Vegan Teriyaki Tofu Bowl
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time- 10 minutes
- 1/2 block of tofu sliced in half
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch + 1 tsp water
Veggies & Noodles
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 1 medium stalk of celery shredded
- 1/2 small red bell pepper finely sliced
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- 60g (2oz) dried rice noodles
- Pour soy sauce over tofu and set to one side for 5- 10 minutes.
- Mix together all sauce ingredients.
- Cover rice noodles with boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes. Once cooked rinse under cold water a couple of times. If serving chilled (my preference) place veggies and rice noodles in your dish to one side. Otherwise set aside for reheating or cook as tofu cooks.
- Place tofu in to a non stick pan spritzed with a little light olive oil. Cook on either side for 3 minutes. Add in 1 tbsp of the sauce and sizzle for a couple of extra minutes.
- Heat the rest of the sauce over a medium heat, bring to the boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes until desired consistency. It will be glossy and syrupy.
- Serve tofu alongside veggies and noodles, drizzle over sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onions.