The smoothie from a while back has been playing on my mind but I always fancy something a little bit more substantial post my Saturday morning workout so an overnight oats parfait it was to be.
Packed full of delicious ripe strawberries, melt in the mouth and brimming with sweet juiciness.
Also in the mix was some banana to cream up those oats good, layered up with soy yoghurt, cacao nibs in the oats and in between the layers, desiccated coconut and dried chewy banana.
It was everything I hoped it would be and more. It’s been so sticky and humid here all week I’ve wanted nothing more than cold food for breakfast lunch and dinner (any hot meals that I did have I purposefully waited for them to cool down and bit as I didn’t fancy breaking out in the inevitable sweat that consuming them would lead to!)
Nothing like a pretty tower filled with fresh fruit and creamy slight chewy oats for breakfast. I made it up before heading to the gym and stuck it back in the fridge were it stood proudly waiting for me on my return.
Strawberries really are intense at the moment; by intense I mean joyous, positively wonderful and all round amazing. They come in all shapes and sizes and look far from the forced grown, pretty as plastic variety you get during the winter time.
A substantial amount of cacao nibs were consumed… and I loved every one of them. They a provided a delicious richness and crunch to each and every mouthful and complimented the strawberries just as much as they had previously.
Having eaten my weight in cherries earlier in the week the strawberries were a nice change…that said I have a pancake stack planned for tomorrow which I’m incredibly excited about…hint hint…cherries might just be featuring!
What’s your favourite chilled summer breakfast?
Strawberry Banana Cacao Nib Overnight Oats
Preparation Time – 5 minutes + Overnight
- 40g (1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 1 tbsp buckwheat groats
- 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) boiling water
- 2 tbsp chopped strawberries
- 1/2 small banana sliced
- 125ml (1/2 cup) plain soy yoghurt
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1/2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp dried chewy banana pieces
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- Mix together all oat ingredients. Place in a seal tight container in the fridge overnight or for at least four hours.
- Mash up strawberries and banana in oats before beginning the layering process.
- 1/3 of oats, 1/3 of cacao nibs, dried banana, coconut and soy yoghurt, followed by 1/3 of the strawberries. Repeat twice more before digging in!