[donotprint] Clearly I have more of a sweet tooth than a savoury and it really comes in to its own at the weekend. One thing that never fails to satisfy is the chocolate and banana combination…
I’m all out of the aforementioned banana chocolate chip cookies so I decided to make a new version. I’ve been keen to use some quinoa flakes for baking and the cookies seemed like the ideal opportunity.
Delicious little chewy sweet banana and chocolate chip cookies. These babies are so good. One of the tastiest and simplest cookies ever and so damn healthy; the chocolate chips are dark and we all know it’s a super food right!
I only made a small batch, 6 medium cookies (of which I’d happily eat two or three in one sitting) so feel free to double or triple the recipe. The next time I make them I might for jumbo ones; the amount in this recipe and only making 2 or 3 cookies. One cookie on its own is just never enough…one jumbo cookie however…that’s where it’s at!
I sampled these as soon as they came out of the oven; well after dinner of course! They were still warm, the chocolate still a bit gooey but they had firmed up just perfectly. A chewy yet soft cookie, with a crispy coating on the outside and a delicious nutty banana chocolate flavour. What more could you want from a cookie!?
In the mix…banana, oats, quinoa flakes, ground flax, maple syrup and a little almond milk…and of course dark chocolate chips and splash of vanilla for good measure. I also added in a smidgen of baking powder to lighten them up a bit.
They came together in minutes and were out of the oven in about 12, so when that sweet tooth gets a craving you have no excuse. A simple, healthy, homemade cookie that won’t fail to satisfy.
My mum and dad were also fans; they were part of the “straight from the oven” tasting crew only they got there before me…
If you want a little more banana these would be good with some banana soft serve, or crumbled on a banana based smoothie or even overnight oats. Yum!
What’s your favourite simple healthy cookie recipe? [/donotprint]
Banana Quinoa Oatmeal Cookies
Servings – 6 medium cookies
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10-12 minutes
- 90g (1cup) rolled oats
- 55g (1/2 cup) quinoa flakes
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup mashed banana
- 2-3 tbsp almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 60ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 30g (2 tbsp) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together rolled oats, quinoa flakes, baking powder and ground flax.
- In a separate bowl mix together banana, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract (start with 2 tbsp almond milk and add a little extra once everything is combined if you need it).
- Mix together wet and dry and fold in chocolate chips. The mixture should be soft but easy to mould in the palm of your hands and not overly sticky. If it’s a bit dry add a touch more almond milk.
- Divide the mixture in to six; weigh out or use a scoop if you want even cookies! Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until cookies have browned and are crisp on the outside. They will firm up a bit more once they cool.