The truth is I wasn’t entirely happy with it so I decided to make another batch before sharing. The first one was a good….the second amazing! I finally got around to buying some jumbo oat flakes…..there is no going back. What have I been doing with porridge oats all this time, there is no comparison, especially when it comes to overnight oats!
The porridge oats just don’t hold their own in a granola. Far too crumbly with an inability to clump like a jumbo oat flake…and granola really is all about the clumps!
And even more so when it comes to granola! This time around I used a little more cocoa, a little more applesauce and a little less maple syrup. I also included coconut for not only a hint of natural sweetness but because coconut and chocolate together are like a dream come true in my breakfast bowl.
Mission accomplished! It couldn’t really be easier. A healthy chocolate chip granola, crispy, sweet (I used less maple as the dark chocolate chips and apple sauce add enough sweetness for my liking).
Damn blooming incredible. Straight in for the taste test. I had myself a serving with plain soy yoghurt, cherries and banana (those fruits in the background aren’t just there for prop purposes…they’re within easy reach for post photo granola bowl devouring! )
I promised myself I would get to making more granola after my almost grain free everything granola a little while back and I’m sticking to my guns. I have peanut butter plans that need to be fulfilled next time around!
I store this granola in the fridge to keep those chocolate chips nice and crisp. Cold milk poured over brings you instant chocolaty milk heaven, the granola stays nice and crisp as do the chips. I highly recommend a cherry and banana bowl, yoghurt or milk, whatever your preference, perhaps a bit of both…
Of course it’s also a perfect sweet snack; it’s my healthy-ish snack of choice to bring along with me to the cinema!
What’s your favourite type of granola and what is your preferred way to enjoy it?
Chocolate Chip Granola
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 200g (2 1/4 cup) jumbo oat flakes
- 2 1/2 tbsp Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 2 heap tbsp desiccated coconut
- 125ml (1/2 cup) unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 60g (1/3 cup) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 160C (320F).
- Mix together cocoa, oat flakes and coconut.
- Mix together apple sauce and maple syrup.
- Add wet to dry and stir well to combine.
- Spread granola on a non stick baking tray. It might seem a bit wet but after the initial cooking time it will dry out.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and break up using your hands or a spoon.
- Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, removing at least one more time to mix and break up a little further if necessary. You want some nice big clumps.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before mixing in chocolate chips. Store in a seal tight container in the fridge.