Giant Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies!
I made a small batch of six but the same amount of dough could be used for making 12 medium sized or 18 small cookies; but I’m all for the supersized variety!
Chocolaty, rich, just sweet enough, chewy, soft, crisp on the outside and crunchy thanks to the inclusion of coarsely chopped hazelnuts distributed without.
Chocolate and hazelnut is such a delicious combination. I almost when with chocolate chip cookies and these could be made even more indulgent be including them along with the hazelnuts (I might just have to make another batch to try them out!)
I got quite the compliment with these cookies from the person who’s opinion matters the most to me (aside from my own)…my mum of course! As soon as she saw them, about 2 minutes after I’d finished taking a few snaps, mug of tea in hand she snaffled half of one and then went back for the another bite claiming she hadn’t had quite half!
My mum has quite a sweet tooth, isn’t a fan of dried fruit and usually misses out on the opportunity to taste most of my baked goods as my dad makes his way through them at a rapid rate. She’s also never overly interested in trying them as she’s a stickler for her favourite biscuits and bars for pairing with her tea. Needless to say I was chuffed that she was a fan!
My dad had one topped with a quick chocolate sauce (recipe to come very soon!) for a little extra indulgence. Four thumbs up…and then I gave my own approval. I stuck a couple in the freezer for treats during the week, devoured one and had the other yesterday evening as a pre bed time snack.
I can see those cookies coming back out of the freezer before the week is out!
What’s your favourite cookie mix ins? I’m usually a chocolate chip or raisin girl but the hazelnuts were really delicious in the chocolate cookies!
Giant Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 10-12 minutes
- 90g (1 cup) oats
- 120g (1 cup) wholegrain spelt flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) apple sauce
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground flax+ 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax seed and water and set to one side for 15 minutes until eggy in consistency.
- Process oats in a food processor until you’re left with a coarse flour.
- Mix together oat flour, spelt flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and hazelnuts.
- In a separate bowl mix together apple sauce and brown sugar. Blend together using a hand/stick blender. Add in flax egg and mix well to combine.
- Add wet to dry, stirring well to form a slightly stiff, sticky dough. Divide dough in to six even balls. Roll until smooth. Place a on large non stick baking tray and flat using the palm of your hand (dampen with water to prevent sticking!).
- Each cookie should be about 90g (3oz) and about 12cm (4.5inches) in diameter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will harden further as they cool on a wire rack.