[donotprint] Slight sticky yet creamy mango and pineapple rice pudding…for breakfast!
Oats are always good, quinoa bakes can never be forgotten, a simple bowl of cereal with fresh fruit and yoghurt never fails to satisfy but sometimes I get the urge to make something a little different.
I’m not goana lie, as I made this the night before to pack up for work I was a little worried. I pictured myself mid morning being less than satisfied and wishing I had a bowl of oats at hand, so much so that I even considered packing up a Plan B!; I didn’t but I wanted too!
I had a little taste test and was pretty damn happy with it so I stuck it in a box, allowed it to cool and then chilled it in the fridge before sticking it in my bag of tricks the next morning. The texture was the only thing I wasn’t entirely happy with as I dug my spoon in to the pot, it was creamy but I fancied a bit of stickiness.
As luck would have it the chilling worked a treat. Still creamy, the rice mango and pineapple mix got a little sticky just the way I had planned at the outset. Sweet, gooey rice pudding just the way it should be. Drowned in almond milk before serving, topped with dried mango, coconut and pistachios…
So much for not being satisfied! It’s been a while since I’ve had rice for breakfast and this bowlful made me question why I don’t have it more often. It was super good. The short grain brown basmati rice is definitely a must; I’d imagine it would be even more amazing if you were to have a rice cooker. Kath uses one all the time and her rice always looks incredible!
Imagine how good a chocolate version would be!!! (there just aren’t enough morning’s in the week for me to eat all the breakfasts I dream of…more breakfasts for lunch will need to be had!)
What’s your favourite breakfast grain? [/donotprint]
Vegan Mango Pineapple Coconut Rice Pudding
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 45 minutes
- 55g (1/4 cup) uncooked short grain brown basmati rice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) boiling water
- 1/3 cup (80ml) light coconut milk
- Extra 2-3 tbsp light coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp diced fresh mango
- 1 tbsp diced fresh pineapple
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 1/2 tbsp dried mango
- 60ml (1/4 cup) almond milk
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- Fresh mint
- Cover rice with boiling water and coconut milk, stir in maple syrup and cinnamon, bring to the boil and simmer for 35 minutes until fluffy and tender.
- Add in additional coconut milk, mango and pineapple, cover and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Add more coconut milk, ensuring the mixture stays looking creamy and loose as it will thicken upon cooling!
- If serving warm cook until desired texture; if serving cool remove whilst still creamy and a little bit more liquid than you desire remains. Remove from the heat, allow to cool and chill for a couple of hours.
- Serve topped with pistachios, coconut and dried mango. Garnish with fresh mint and drown in almond milk before digging in.