My own mini’s

by Peachy Palate on August 3, 2012

I might have missed the women’s mini marathon this year…but next year I’ll be there with bells on!

I’ve been making up for my break from running this past week…my break which was longer than I originally anticipated/hoped/wished it would be. The trapped nerve in my hip kept on niggling at me, though I think I extended the break slightly longer than was necessary as I was so nervous that it would come back full force; I didn’t fancy barely being able to walk again.

I knew deep down that if I was to start back running again I would struggle to not to overdo it…I clearly underestimated my own strength, awareness and smarts on this one!

Running Quote

Over the past two weeks I’ve hit the treadmill three times a week and completed 4 10km and 2 8km runs, completing all with a nice pace; the best of which was my 10km (6.3 miles) on Monday just gone in 51 minutes and 30 seconds (8.17 pace…)

There was a point a couple of weeks back when I thought it was just never going to happen. I decided to just go for it, listen to my body as I ran and promised myself that I would stop should I feel any real pain; by real I mean more than a niggle.

When I felt that niggle in my hip/lower back on the left hand side I stood tall, tilted my pelvis back in to where it should have been, held my core tight and opened up my stride and ran right through my anxiousness. By god did it feel good!

When I was attempting to ease back in to running, running 10 minutes here, 15 minutes there, my legs felt like a led weight. Moving from the cross trainer back to a more fluid free movement wasn’t easy, my legs didn’t know what had hit them. What I’ve come to realise is that it just takes a while to loosen up…and the time taken is different for everyone.

Some people can jump right out the door or on to a treadmill and get in to their stride without a second thought. For me it takes anywhere between 10 -20 minutes to feel at ease; it really just depends on the day, how much stretching I’ve been doing, how rest I’ve gotten, what weight training I might have done beforehand…

Or the real killer…how many burpees have whipped my ass in near numbness in the days previous! (I’m still loving Tina’s Burpee Blaster Workout!)

What I have noticed is that my legs feel a hell of lot stronger than they used to thanks in both to the weight training and the rest. I’ve promised myself that 3 runs is my weekly max and so I’m still hoping on the cross trainer, keeping up the weight and strength training and making sure to attend at least one spin class a week; everyone needs to be a complete sweaty mess on a minimum of one day a week and spin never fails me!

So true!

10km is by far a lot less of struggle and so much less daunting than it used to be. I’m yet to hit the pavement though I think it’s something I might tackle over the forthcoming long weekend. Slow and easy as the extra pounding and pressure might not be so readily accepted by my body.

Running Quote

So here’s my new go to 10km treadmill workout…I’m not sure if you could call it HIIT but in parts it feels like a good sprint and it’s otherwise a steady strong job that’s maintained throughout. Maybe a half marathon isn’t such a fantasy after all!

Minutes Pace KM Pace Miles
22 12.5 7.8
23 10.8 6.7
24 12 7.5
25 11.5 7.2
26 12.5 7.8
27 12.8 8
Repeat minutes 2-27 for 10km (6.3miles)

Take care of your body it's the only place you have to live.

I’ve learned to trust, listen and look after my body; god might have given me two legs and I may have the power to run with them but it’s something I will most definitely not take for granted here on in!

Did you ever suffer from an injury that changed your outlook on your fitness goals/routine?  [/donotprint]

Lauren (@poweredbypb) August 3, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I had a knee problem earlier this year and had to take 6 weeks + off running, at times I was completely frightened “what if it would never get completely better?!” . It gave me a new perspective, made me realise how much I actually love running and how much I take it for granted. Now I am just happy to get out there when I can and enjoy it. Although I might have a different outlook on running after my marathon training and marathon ha!

Peachy Palate August 3, 2012 at 10:52 pm

When are you doing a marathon??? Totally with you on appreciating just being able to run!

Min @ savortherainbow August 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Oh this treadmill workout looks intense! It’s def not the same as the “hill” option on the treadmill at my gym. haha
I don’t have any injuries, but as I’m focusing on recovery, I stopped running for the time being. Just like you, I have a hard time not overdoing it! Once I start, boy I just don’t want to get off that darn machine! Now I’m sure it’ll be a lot diff if I was running outside in this triple digit weather. Oh..that’s an idea haha. I love your last sentence! It resonates with me.

Peachy Palate August 4, 2012 at 6:04 pm

It’s a good one, if you’re in to running you’ll love it! I eased off exercise completely when I was in the beginning of recovery but I realised I needed to re introduce it so that I could learn how to balance and not over do it! :) Thanks for the comment!

kristle August 4, 2012 at 11:10 pm

cheers to you for finding that balance, michele, i really admire you!

Brittany @ twosaucysisters August 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I was injured during the winter track season for 4 months. It probably wouldn’t have been that long, but I kept on trying to race even though I knew my body couldn’t handle it. It was really hard not to be able to train with my team and not to be able to race to the potential that I knew I had. I finally took a step back and stopped trying to run because I knew it was the only way to get better. It was a really tough decision, and I had to spend a LOT of time by myself on the elliptical, but I’m much better now. Taking time off is, in my opinion, harder than pushing yourself through a grueling workout, but sometimes no matter how much therapy you go to, rest is the only thing that will help you get better!

Peachy Palate August 4, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Very true, Tina over at Best Body Fitness had a great post on recovery weeks during the week. Definitely a good idea!

Julie @ twosaucysisters.wordpress.com August 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I got injured in my first year of university, a week after running one of the best races of my life at Canadian University Sport Championships. I was supposed to race in a week at the Athletics Ontario Championships, but seeing as I could barely walk down the stairs, I had to stand on the sidelines for that one! It ended in me missing my entire rookie track season that winter. It was really hard, I wasn’t allowed to do anything for the first month, and then spent another 2 months pool-running 7 days a week, often completely on my own (excruciatingly boring) but finally, after dedication to my physio exercises and listening to my coach and body, I did get better! Injuries are the worst, and they always take longer to heal than we want them to, but resting truely is the best thing you can do, and easing back into it is extremely important too! My coach said “If you feel pain, stop.” That was hard, too. But it will get better! :)

Peachy Palate August 4, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I know…..you so badly want to just ignore the pain but you really have to listen to your body. In the long run it makes such a difference. Keeping up some sort of training is important to so you don’t fall back on your fitness level so well done on the pool running…I don’t think I could hack it!

basalevolution August 4, 2012 at 10:10 pm

i am obsessed with every single one of those quotes/images you posted! thanks! great motivation!! i have been fortunate never to have suffered a major injury- however, i had horrible shin splints before! they are the worst! some time off, heat, and ice took care of the problem after a few months. since eating more veggies, i haven’t struggle with shin splints anymore! yay!

Peachy Palate August 4, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I’ve never had them (she says looking for a piece of wood to touch!)… Nothing like a good quote :)

kristle August 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm

i did my first and only 5k race at the end of may of this year, and was starting to train to run farther so maybe i could sign up for a 10k. last week me and running broke up… it just always hurts, i don’t think i’m meant to be a distance runner. my right hip acts up, along with my right knee sometimes, and most of the time my left ankle. i must have very bad form, but i can’t afford to go get my gait analyzed and special shoes made. the high temps haven’t helped, i’m thinking i’ll give it another go in the fall when it cools down a bit… very slowly of course.

Peachy Palate August 4, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Some physio might help and perhaps some advice from a trainer in the gym? With my hip/lower back it was actually my pelvis that was causing the problem; which extended down in to my leg along the sciatic nerve. It was too far tilted forward… Working on my core strength- stomach and lower back, learning to stand and sit properly and taking rest all seem to have really helped.

Carolyn April 17, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I like running because it is good for the whole body. To get prepared for running on a long distances I usually take Navy Seal formula, which quickly brings me up. It is manufactured by MGNutritionals and was developed specially for the Army, but it is good for everyone who needs more energy for active lifestyle.