I’ve been making sure to keep myself in stock buying a big bag of organic Cherries from the guys in The Happy Pear every week.
After my perfect pancakes last week rather than trying to beat them I decided to take a different approach and got back to the fool proof crepe. This time making a cherry jam and adding cocoa in to the mix to make the chocolate cocoa dream before you!
Oh and the remaining cherry jam! No way was it going to be saved..it was too good not to just dollop it on along side the already positively stuffed chocolate cherry crepe.
Dried cherries, coconut and flaked almonds along with some extra fresh cherries and soy yoghurt on the side. There really is nothing more indulgent than the three c’s…
Chocolate, Cherry and Coconut of course!!!
Though the chocolate banana crepe did rate pretty highly! Chocolate sauce would have pushed me over the edge on this one. It was incredibly filling (surprisingly so since I’ve been like a bottomless pit of late; running sure does make you hungry!) The chocolate chips on the other hand were a must!
This delicious plateful was the perfect way to kick of the long weekend..the extra long long weekend in my case as I decided to take Monday off work as well!
I don’t have a whole heap planned…my first run outside will be happening tomorrow…toes and fingers crossed it feels as amazing and pain free as it does on the treadmill! I’m also spending the day with Stephen in The Happy Pear on Monday! Super excited to be helping out in the kitchen for the day!
It’s been an incredible week, lots of changes coming soon in my own life which I will be sharing later in the week once I’ve made some final decisions; the big task for the weekend is really to weigh up my options and try to follow my heart and not my head for once!
Back to these crepes…
Or if you fancy a different crepe (though you would be mad not to try this one! )
- Fig and Apricot Jam Cinnamon Crepe (apricot jam…cherry doesn’t even beat it!)
- Blueberry and Mango Dream Oatie Crepe (a combination that never fails me)
- Chocolate Banana Crepe (luscious!)
(The final shot before I dug right in!)
Any plans for the weekend? Pancakes on the menu?
Chocolate Cherry Jam Crepe
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 18-20 minutes
- ½ cup fresh chopped and pitted cherries
- 2 tbsp water
- 2-3 tsp Truvia (6 tsp of sugar if using)
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 30g (1/4 cup) wholegrain spelt flour
- 1 tbsp Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup fresh cherries
- 2 tbsp plain soy yoghurt
- 1/2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tbsp dried cherries chopped
- 1/2 tbsp flaked almonds
- Whisk together flax and water and set to one side for 10-15 minutes until “eggy” in consistency.
- Meanwhile add cherries, water and sweetener of choice to a pot, bring the boil, and simmer for 5 minutes until cherries have burst. Mash a little more before whisking in xanthan gum vigorously to avoid any clumps forming. Simmer for a minute or two and remove from the heat.
- Whisk flour and water together until smooth, add in flax egg and whisk further to evenly distribute.
- Pour pancake batter in to a lightly greased large skillet (mine was about 9 -10 inches in diameter) and swirl pan to distribute batter. Leave to cook on one side for 4-5 minutes until it appears to have cooked through. Shake the pan to loosen before flipping the pancake; feel free to use a spatula!
- Cook for a further 3-4 minutes until nicely browned on either side.
- Lay pancake on to a flat surface. Spread about ¾ of the jam on side of the pancake. Fold over and slice the semi circle in to 3 triangles.
- Plate up with soy yoghurt, jam and the fresh cherries on the side. Sprinkle the pancake with flaked almonds, coconut, dried cherries and chocolate chips.