With all that in mind I did a little perusing on a few of my favourite blogs and found Sonia’s idea for creamy buckwheat with sundried tomatoes. Her version contained cheese which I of course omitted but stuck to the fundamentals.
I’m a big zucchini lover at the best of times, always opting for it raw as opposed to cooked (though I did find a yummy looking zucchini quinoa idea during the week which I’ll be whipping up sometime soon!) If I could have one gadget it would be a spirooli; would love to be able to make myself some fancy ass zucchini noodles! If any kind company out there would like to send me to test out I would be more than happy to take it in to my care!!!
This salad satisfied all my cravings in one fell swoop. Slight nutty buckwheat with a bit of bite, creamy tahini dressing, salty sundried tomatoes, olives and fresh zucchini, roasted red pepper and plenty of fresh basil to lift to a sensational tasty dimension.
Love these one bowl meals that can be easily packed up for lunch. More often than not I end up with about 5 or 6 lunch boxes going to work, different components of a dish ready to be assembled. One box, one bowl and a few photos before digging in.
Super quick and tasty and the ideal dish to make a double portion for the following day.
I went with edamame beans for an extra hit of protein and burst of bright green. Love the little bright bean; they’re still up there with the chickpea on my favourite beautiful bean list!
I’ve been eating my way through a monumental amount of buckwheat lately and have finally gotten my hands on a big bag of buckwheat flour all the way from the US thanks to iHerb. Buckwheat pancakes are on the menu soon and I’m thinking a savoury filling something along the lines of this salad might be in order.
Tahini dressing is something I go through phases of lashing on salads and this has kicked off another week of tahini loving. Dave in The Happy Pear introduced me to an incredible new snack idea…grab a banana, dunk it in tahini and take a big bite making doing your best not to drip the tahini all over your chin; it’s harder than it sounds. Super tasty!
My all time favourite tahini dressed salad is this butternut squash and chickpea salad…more enticing than even a pile of pancakes and that really is saying something!
If you haven’t tried buckwheat let this be your introduction. It’s a fantastic alternative to using a grain in your salad with all the energy density to keep you satisfied for longer. Here’s a little run down on the fruit seed commonly mistaken to be a grain for anyone who’s interested!
Creamy Tahini Zucchini Buckwheat Salad
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g edamame beans
- 25g sundried tomatoes (4 large) shredded
- 1/2 roasted red bell pepper diced
- 1 small zucchini shredded
- 6-7 black olives finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil roughly chopped + a little extra for garnish
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1/2 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Rinse buckwheat groats before place in a pot, covering with water and bringing to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set to one side to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare other ingredients; soak sundried tomatoes (I use the dried and bagged as opposed to those soaked in oil), shred zucchini, chop basil and whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Mix together all salad ingredients, pour over dressing and stir well to combine. Serve garnish with some fresh basil on top.