I have one small frozen bag full left and the same amount of jam, the rest have all been consumed. From plain and straight, to buckwheat breakfast creations and of course smoothies (chocolate cherry and cherry bakewell!)
A little bit of baking was inevitable and I decided to go with a quick and easy fool proof chocolate cake which turned out a hell of lot more amazing than I had anticipated. It was light, rich yet a little fudgy…with cherries running through the centre, it was a like a sponge cake come brownie…can’t get better than that!
My dad was pretty taken by this one. He always has a bit of feedback, mostly good along with some constructive feedback when it comes to tasting my latest creation. But on this occasion he had nothing but praise; he actually went as far as saying I should go in to business!
It couldn’t have been easier to whip up; I actually had it cooked, sliced and photographed before hitting the gym one morning last week! I’m not good with exercising on a full stomach otherwise I would have delved right it in but it was sitting there waiting for me to enjoy, with a side of cherries, on my return!
A dollop of plain soy yoghurt (Alpro Soya of course!) was a fantastic creamy addition.
My immediate thought was how good a double layer with chocolate sauce on top and cherry jam spread in the middle would be…the next birthday that comes up I’ll be using it as a fantastic excuse to do some experimentation though I may have to go down another fruity route…blueberries would also be amazing!
When it comes to birthday cake they chocolate is the only way to go! This chocolate cherry cake is fat free and does pretty well in on the nutritional stats front though I’ve a plethora of ideas to make it a little more indulgent. Everyone needs a basic fool proof cake recipe though.
What’s your favourite basic cake recipe? For me it’s this chocolate cherry creation, though my lemon and lime poppy seed loaf is a close second!
Vegan Chocolate Cherry Cake
Servings – 8
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 35 minutes
- 180g (1 1/2 cup) wholegrain spelt flour
- 45g (1/3 cup) Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 100g (1/2 cup) raw cane sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) apple sauce
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup cherries pitted and sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F).
- Mix together cocoa, flour, and baking powder.
- Blend together sugar and apple sauce with almond and vanilla extracts. Add in water and stir to combine.
- Add wet to dry, folding together until smooth and chocolaty.
- Pour cake batter in to a loose bottom non stick lined 8inch round cake tin. Drop cherries on top all the way over the surface, pressing down gently one at a time until submerged. Smooth over the top of the cake with a damp spoon or spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before lifting up out of the cake tin, leaving to cool further on a wire rack; though feel free to dig right in.