Nutty about Coconut

by Peachy Palate on August 19, 2012

I’ve been so excited about getting my hands on coconut flour and the first thing on my list of “must makes” was of course coconut flour pancakes.

I hadn’t quite anticipated how incredible the texture and flavour would be. Light and fluffy and deliciously sweet; the waft of coconut from the bag was delicious!

Bob’s Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour all the way from the U.S thanks to iHerb.com. My joy when I opened my box of goodies…between the Justin’s Almond Butters (Chocolate and Maple) and the coconut flour, the ground flaxseed was a little overshadowed but the convenience of not having to grind my own flaxseeds is beyond amazing!

If there is one thing better than chocolate and cherry, it’s cherry and coconut! With the last of my local hand picked organic cherries I whipped up a quick fruity sauce/jam…not quite as thick as jam, not as thin as a sauce…it makes for the perfect pancake topper!

Justin’s Maple Almond Butter got it’s debut as well (aside from the spoonful I had to taste test it straight from the jar!)…I can see what all the fuss was about! Of course I fell in love with as soon as I striped back the seal and licked my almond butter laden finger clean. Yum!

The coconut pancake batter was quite a good bit thicker than my usual pancake batter as the coconut flour soaks up a whole heap of moisture so I add a little extra almond milk. I took head from a some coconut flour using research and added in some flaxseed meal (it was a day for new product debuts!) to work a little extra binding magic.

The end result was incredible!!! Dare I say it my favourite pancakes to date! People have looked at me like I have two heads every time I mention coconut flour…and then I finally got around to visiting Select Stores in Dalkey and you’ll never guess what I discovered…Tiana Coconut Flour!!

Albeit a little bit pricey but oh so worth it! The store is like a dream come true…they even stock pumpkin puree!!! I shall be frequenting on a regular basis from here on in!

What’s your favourite coconut flour recipe? I have a baking experiment in the oven as I type…the waft of coconut is so alluring, I’m not quite sure I’ll be able to hold out for photos to have a little nibble!

Cherry Coconut Flour Pancakes

Print this easy peasy recipe Print this easy peasy recipe

Servings – 1 (3 medium pancakes)

Preparation Time – 5 minutes

Cooking Time – 8-10 minutes

Ingredients

Cherry Jam

• ½ cup fresh chopped and pitted cherries
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 2-3 tsp Truvia (6 tsp of sugar if using)
  • ¼ tsp xanthan gum

Pancakes

• 40g (1/3 cup) wholegrain spelt flour
  • 1.5 tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 tsp flax seed meal
  • 1 small banana
  • 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • 140ml (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) almond milk

Toppings

• 1 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tsp desiccated coconut
  • Fresh cherries
  • Flaked almonds

Directions

1. Add cherries, water and sweetener of choice to a pot, bring the boil, and simmer for 5 minutes until cherries have burst. Mash a little more before whisking in xanthan gum vigorously to avoid any clumps forming. Simmer for a minute or two and remove from the heat.
  2. Blend together all pancake batter ingredients.
  3. Place 1/3 cup measures (divide the batter in 3!) in to a non stick pan, spreading it out a little with the back of a spoon as it’s quite thick.
  4. Cook for 4-5 minutes before flipping and cooking for a further 3-4 minutes.
  5. Serve topped with a dollop of cherry jam and almond butter on each, cherries round the side, almond and coconut sprinkled on top.

Edith August 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

looks delish!!
I’m a coconut flour fan too….I am about to use it in absolutely everything!!

Peachy Palate August 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I know it’s just incredible!

Sünne August 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I think I have finally decided on which of your pancake recipes to try first! My obscene addiction with coconut flour started about a year ago and is still going strong.

One of my favourite uses is just stirring it into (soy) yogurt, adding a little maple syrup and enjoying the thick and rich concoction. Another great recipe are Nikki’s Chococonut muffins – I’m sure they’d work with spelt flour, too! http://kabochafashionista.com/2011/08/19/chocolate-love/

Ciara August 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I made Susan Jane White’s coconut blueberry muffins with the flour. But these pancakes look yum. Must send you link to quinoa pancakes, they’re my fave at the mo. Going to make your last buckwheat recipe tonight! Couldn’t find edamame tho, just using sugar snaps.

Peachy Palate August 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

They are really hard to come by, I’d sub in another bean instead of the edamame like cannelini or haricot maybe.

Ciara August 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’ve used rice flour and buckwheat flour, both worked well! Also used no sugar but not as nice, so tried coconut palm sugar and that was yumm!

Jess @ JessieBear What Will You Wear August 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’ve used almond flour and quinoa flour, but never coconut flour. I must try it! Looks delish. (Your food always does though!)

Peachy Palate August 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Jess! I’m yet to try quinoa flour, use quinoa flakes quite a bit though!

Lauren (@poweredbypb) August 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I need to open my bag of coconut flour stat! These look great.

Peachy Palate August 19, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Get on it! :)

kristle August 20, 2012 at 3:48 am

how do you grind your own flaxseeds, what do you use? i always buy flaxmeal, but read recently that that can tend to go rancid so it’s better to grind your own for what you need at a time.

Peachy Palate August 20, 2012 at 6:18 am

I use a coffee grinder, works a treat!

kristle August 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm

i dont have one of those, i suppose i could do it the old fashioned way, with the mortar & pestle?

Peachy Palate August 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Hard work but worth a try! iherb.com do a big bag of flax seed meal and it’s really cheap in comparison to what we can get in Ireland – http://www.iherb.com/Bob-s-Red-Mill-Organic-Whole-Ground-Flaxseed-Meal-Gluten-Free-32-oz-2-lb-907-g/9675?at=0

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 20, 2012 at 8:13 am

Ahhh, coconut flour…where would I be without your smooth coconutty deliciousness! I swear it is one of my TOP FIVE things I’ve discovered in blogworld that I could NOT live without…right next to nutritional yeast, peanut flour, chia seeds, and the wonderful world of nut butter (ok, so that’s more than ONE thing, but I’m sure you understand! ;))

I have SO many recipes that I love! Have you seen my Orange Creamsicle Protein Muffins? Or the pancake version I posted last week? Both are incredible…the coconut flavor shines through SO well! If you’re interested, here’s a link to my Recipage with all my coconut flour recipes: http://www.kissmybroccoliblog.com/recipage/?search_term=coconut%20flour&ui=1173 :D

And isn’t Justin’s Maple AB the best?! It’s the only one I really like…but the only one I’ll ever need! ;)

PS, I’m totally stealing your jam idea!

Peachy Palate August 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

It’s incredible, best almond butter ever! Marnatha no stir is really good too though! Would you believe I’m yet to invest in chia seeds…I need them and bee pollen!!!
Definitely checking out the recipe…pin :0

kristle August 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

yess i got maranatha no stir almond butter once, soo yummy as well!