[donotprint] I had almost forgotten I’d made this until I got a longing for another one! It was almost a month ago that I stumbled upon the idea over on one of my favourite blogs.
Heather’s Kiss My Broccoli! Carrot Parfait…
- Carrot cake overnight oats
- Carrot cake smoothie
- Carrot cake pancakes
- Carrot cake cooked oats
- Carrot cake itself
And finally Carrot Parfait! Incredibly creamy, naturally sweet and 100% satisfying! It ended up being quite the filling breakfast (breakfast round two in my case!) Layers of carrot and apple puree with maple syrup and cinnamon, plain soy yoghurt and coconut, topped off with toasted jumbo oats and pecans (also coated in a little maple syrup) and a little more coconut to finish.
Who doesn’t love getting in veggies before noon, especially when they can taste so delicious sweet. I’m definitely not a savoury breakfast kind of girl; I get my sweet tooth satisfied nice and early allowing my savoury to stay strong through the middle of the day.
Clearly I’m a fan of carrot in my breakfasts; it was drilled in to me as a child that I should eat up my carrots if I wanted to have good eyesight…I do have fantastic sight though I’m not sure it can be solely attributed but I’d like to believe it helped
Heather topped her carrot cake with granola but I didn’t have anything that I felt would fit so I opted for coating some jumbo oats in maple syrup along with some pecans and simply toasted them in a dry pan for a couple of minutes until nicely browned and crisp. It worked perfectly and provided me with a nice deep topping to stir though once I delved in.
The mixture of the carrot and apple was incredible. I added a little maple for a hint of extra sweetness but the natural sweetness of the carrots against the slightly tart apple puree was what really shone through. The cool creamy soy yoghurt made for one heavenly jar full of goodness. With veggies in the mix it could definitely pass for lunch or even dinner; any excuse to get in more soy yoghurt, I’d eat a large tub full if given half a chance! What I ever did before I discovered Alpro Soya plain yoghurt I do not know!
What’s your favourite way to incorporate veggies in to your breakfast in a non savoury way? I’m clearly looking for inspiration! [/donotprint]
Vegan Carrot Parfait with Oatie Pecan Topping
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 35 minutes
- 1 cup raw carrot puree (2-3 carrots + 1 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup apple puree (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup plain soy yoghurt (180ml)
- 1/4 cup jumbo oats
- 1/2 tbsp roughly chopped pecans
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Blend together carrot, apple sauce, water, cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup. Place in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Coat oats and pecans in maple syrup, place in a non stick pan and toast for 2-3 minutes. Remove and set to one side to cool and crispen up further.
- Layer up parfait with half of carrot puree, 1/2 of yoghurt and a sprinkling of coconut (1/2 of total). Repeat once more, ; sprinkle topping over the second layer of yoghurt followed by remaining coconut to serve.