[donotprint] There are three ingredients I’ve been loving lately…
Coconut Flour, Curry Powder (it’s been a spicy roasted veggie filled week!) and cauliflower. I ate copious amounts of roasted cauliflower dusted with curry powder for quite some time and needed a break from it for a while but I’ve fallen back in love.
There is simply no better way to satisfy all your cravings in one go than to create a new vegan burger (at least in my mind!) However crazy the combination it’s worth a try!
In the burger patty mix this time around…haricot (navy) beans, raw ground cauliflower, curry powder, coconut flour and nutritional yeast. The staple basics….a bean, a flower, a veggie and an incredible hit of flavour.
On the side I whipped up some pineapple puree, cooking it down until it thickened up a little to become more jammy like in consistency. The mango “jam” on top the peanut butter chickpea burger went down so well I’ve really taken to a little fruitiness to compliment the flavours patty with a little spice.
The coconut worked perfectly as a binder, the desiccated coconut the perfect outer coating. I also used a little tahini to bring the whole thing together. It was quite the random experiment but it worked incredibly well!
It sat proudly a top one of my homemade spelt burger buns, a bed of spinach beneath and a couple of big juicy slices of beef tomato to make it even more of a mouthful.
What I really love about vegan burgers is how quickly and easily they can come together. Some people might be put off by a long ingredient list or the idea of creating a single burger…if the latter is the case make a few and store them in the fridge for grab and go snacks or served on top of big bumper salad as a delicious lunch. They also freeze perfectly…just lay them flat in food bags or box them up wrapped in cling film (plastic wrap) to prevent them from sticking together. Leave out to thaw and heat up the grill or enjoy chilled….whatever tickles you fancy
If you’re put off by the ingredient list then check out my other burger recipes to find one that you have the ingredients for or simply sub in what you have or what your heart/tummy desires. Like I mention above just remember the staples…
- Beans (Or Tofu)
What’s your favourite slightly crazy burger combination? (Or what might it be even if you haven’t created it yet!) [/donotprint]
Vegan Cauliflower Coconut Curry Burger
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 12- 15 minutes
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax + 1.5 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped scallions
- 1/2 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1 heaped tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup haricot (navy) beans
- 1/3 cup raw processed/ground cauliflower
- 1/2 tbsp tahini paste
- 1/2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp pineapple puree (cooked down for 10-15 minutes until thickened up)
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Place cauliflower in a food processor and process until fluffy (resembling cooked couscous).
- Mix together all burger ingredients, bring together with your hands to form one large patty (slightly damp hands make it easier to work with!)
- Sprinkle coconut on to a plate and lay patty on top, pat down before flipping over and coating the other side. Scoop up any remaining coconut a press around the sides of the burgers so nicely coated the whole way around.
- Place burger on a non stick baking sheet and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until slightly crisp on the outside and starting to brown.
- Serve with pineapple puree on top on your burger bun of choice!