The buckwheat breakfast bake last week impressed me so much that I couldn’t wait to delve in to another and go figure…it was cherry based. I went on the last cherry pick with Dave and Steve from The Happy Pear last week so my days have been cherry filled to say the least over the last few days! Morning, noon and night…I’ve been eating them at every given opportunity!
Overnight Oats have been taking a back seat in favour of this grain free alternative. The variation last week was taste tested fresh and warm and then I packed up the rest, chilled it over night and dug in the next morning in work. Both were incredible. Served warm it was little more dessert like, more luscious perhaps, but the flavours seemed to intensify once chilled and the texture became more comparable to overnight oats having sat in the fridge while I got my snooze on!
This “cherrilicious” variety had a nice almond twist having blended up almond butter with milk and fresh cherries before adding it to the cooked buckwheat and simmering for a few minutes until thick and creamy.
Served with an additional dollop of Justin’s Maple Almond Butter (thank you iHerb!) as well as a sprinkling of coconut and some chopped flaked almonds with a couple of cherries on top it was almost good to go… I had some of my cherry sauce/jam left over from my pancakes at the weekend which was the perfect final addition.
I was quite impressed! Again, warm and chilled, both delicious though I have to say I preferred the chilled cherry version! I stirred through some fresh chopped pitted cherries before serving which made for quite a decent bowlful (or large cup full in this instance!)
The addition of the almond butter made for not only a wonderful flavour but also lent itself to adding a smooth and creamy texture. Cool almond milk to serve…the perfect way to make the most of the last of the cherries (who am I kidding, I have a savoury recipe with a difference coming your way soon folks )
What ways are you making the most of the last of the summer produce? Make sure to check out my chocolate cherry cake which can be easily adapted to incorporate your favourite summer fruits!
Cherry Almond Buckwheat Breakfast Pudding
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 5 minutes
- 1.5 tbsp Almond butter
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 3/4 cup cooked buckwheat
- 1/3 cup chopped cherries packed
- 1/3 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp finely chopped/crushed flaked almonds
- Fresh cherries chopped and pitted to stir through
- 1/2 tbsp Almond butter
- 2-3 fresh cherries to garnish
- 60ml (1/4 cup) almond milk to serve
- Blend together almond butter, milk and chopped cherries.
- Add milk mixture and buckwheat to a pot and heat over a medium heat, stirring until thick and creamy; about 5-7 minutes.
- When the buckwheat is desired consistency, stir threw extra chopped cherries.
- Serve with chilled almond milk, a dollop of almond butter, coconut and flaked almonds as well as a couple of fresh cherries to garnish.